Rio Red 98 GT Build

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Haven't made much progress since the last update but here I am.
Put the notch in the coil overs, also had to put shim stock between the sleeve and the strut because they fit really loose. Another awesome UPR trait.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
This part of the build has been going pretty slow just because its tedious and I have to make sure everything is going to fit just right and look halfway decent.

Started my wiring

This is where I am right now with the driver side

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
OK guys, I haven't updated this thing in a little while because I haven't been doing a whole lot to my car lately. Ive been helping 98v6vert rebuild the sixer for his ride. None the less, I did get to spend a couple minutes on mine today.

Got an order from Summit today.

Great packing job!

For all of this

Surprise! Wish I could get this stuff local, summit was the cheapest though.

Wanted to paint this panel that covers the wiper motor

up close

After paint

Wiper cowl, before

Hard to see but this is after

We will be finished up with the v6 rebuild pretty soon so I will start making more progress with my pile.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That SEM trim spray is awesome. I just redid my convertible trim as well as part of my interior. Your wiper cover came out great!

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
That SEM trim spray is awesome. I just redid my convertible trim as well as part of my interior. Your wiper cover came out great!

I saw that in your build thread and in all honesty you are the one that sold me on this paint, so I have you to thank for how good it turned out. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Well, I did a little bit of ordering this morning. I got my manley exhaust valves coming my way so I can get my heads finished up and get my engine put together. Then I ordered my Maximum Motorsports manual brake conversion kit! Oh yeah, starting to get some more things moving forward with this hunk of metal.

kvoriley

Reaction score
Awesome build man, I'll have to look into the SEM trim paint.

I also completely agree with UPR products, I will never recommend them to anyone. I bought an aluminum clutch quadrant for my fox body, and had to bore the hole bigger for it to fit properly. I called them and they said they had a "batch" that were improperly manufactured.
I later bought a UPR o/r x-pipe. It fit like absolute shit and didn't include all of the bolts for the flanges. It also had a PYPES sticker still on the side of it. So I'm assuming now that they just sell Pypes exhaust as their own?

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Awesome build man, I'll have to look into the SEM trim paint.

I also completely agree with UPR products, I will never recommend them to anyone. I bought an aluminum clutch quadrant for my fox body, and had to bore the hole bigger for it to fit properly. I called them and they said they had a "batch" that were improperly manufactured.
I later bought a UPR o/r x-pipe. It fit like absolute shit and didn't include all of the bolts for the flanges. It also had a PYPES sticker still on the side of it. So I'm assuming now that they just sell Pypes exhaust as their own?

I know the pypes x-pipe fits like crap, that is what I had on my car and I won't use them again either. I did however get in touch with Bryan from UPR. He is the sales manager there and he sent me a bolt kit free of charge to fix the issue with the weld hitting the bolt. He is a really nice guy and had no problems getting my issue fixed up, but I still wonder why this wasn't caught in the beginning when these things were put into production.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know the pypes x-pipe fits like crap, that is what I had on my car and I won't use them again either. I did however get in touch with Bryan from UPR. He is the sales manager there and he sent me a bolt kit free of charge to fix the issue with the weld hitting the bolt. He is a really nice guy and had no problems getting my issue fixed up, but I still wonder why this wasn't caught in the beginning when these things were put into production.

I always recommend Maximum Motorsports parts - their fit is just perfect each time. I guarantee you would not have had those fitment issues with their K member and coilover kit; I have their coilover kit on my fronts and rears, fitment was spot on.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I always recommend Maximum Motorsports parts - their fit is just perfect each time. I guarantee you would not have had those fitment issues with their K member and coilover kit; I have their coilover kit on my fronts and rears, fitment was spot on.

I believe you are right, I can say though, the UPR sales manager is very helpful. I called him and he sent me a new bolt kit for the k-member. Im not having issues with the bolts hitting now. The coil over kit I am still not a fan of and when I get my bilstein struts I will get a different coil over kit for them. I almost pulled the trigger on a UPR manual brake swap kit but I went ahead and ordered the MM kit instead. I should get it later this week, I am expecting this kit to work out great.

kvoriley

Reaction score

Their customer service did seem to be pretty helpful, I have to give them that. When I called them up about the clutch quadrant they offered to send me another, but I didn't have time to wait. They just need to start making a product that matches their customer service lol

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
nice! i wondered how that sem trim paint looked. how do ya like it? thinking about doing my wiper cowl too. your's looks nice man!

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
nice! i wondered how that sem trim paint looked. how do ya like it? thinking about doing my wiper cowl too. your's looks nice man!

Thanks a lot! In my opinion the SEM Trim is perfect. It doesn't look like painted plastic, its a real close match to factory black trim from what I can tell. Then again all my s**t was faded pretty bad so I might just be giddy because its black again lol.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! In my opinion the SEM Trim is perfect. It doesn't look like painted plastic, its a real close match to factory black trim from what I can tell. Then again all my s**t was faded pretty bad so I might just be giddy because its black again lol.

awesome! i'll be doing this then lol. thanks man

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Wow! A lot of work going into your car man! Keep up the good work I'm gonna keep checking this for updates!

Thanks a lot man! It means the world to me to get compliments from people that know what they are looking at. I should be getting my valves tomorrow, then its off to the machine shop. Then i should have my MM manual brake kit later this week so ill be able to install that. Gonna try to pick up the pace a little bit, I really miss my car!

venom

Reaction score
I had UPR coil-overs and they were terrible. Switched to MM and strange rubbing and noises are gone. I am about to start the rewire in my build which includes a MS as well.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Alright, been making very slow progress lately on my car. I did, however, get my exhaust valves in the mail and my manual brake kit also. Let me start by saying the quality of the MM brake conversion is FANTASTIC quality. All the parts are perfectly machined and precision fit. You can definitely tell that MM puts a lot of time into their products. I will be putting my money over there now.

Exhaust valves. Swirl polished, 1mm oversize, stainless steel

MM brake conversion kit

Firewall adapter

Looks good in there

Old pedal assembly

MM sent instruction on how to install this kit. The return spring that is on the pedal moves over to the right with this and MM says to drill a 5/16" hole 1" down from the top and 3/4" from the side. I have to say that these directions are spot on.

return spring on the pedal

Right now I am working on getting the brake light switch and cruise control shutoff switch wired in. MM does not have a kit for the 96-04 cars so this is for a 94-95. Everything fits properly accept the light switch, and MM made sure that I knew that before purchasing the kit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online