Rockauto for a cheap(ish) brake upgrade?

Five O

Reaction score
So I'm trying to find ways to upgrade to Cobra brakes without breaking the bank on a new kit for a grand. I was wondering if anyone's used Rockauto to buy reman loaded calipers? If so, which ones should I pick up? There are options from Motorcraft (rear only), Centric, Raybestos, and Retech. Does any of that matter at all? Not really very knowledgeable about this.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Check your local craigslist man, there's usually a set of cobra calipers that pop up in my area for a few hundred bucks every month or so

edit: pm fullforce (I think that's his name) he's reasonable on prices and a great dude all around. He has tons of cobras that he's parted out. I am sure he's got a cobra brake swap

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm trying to find ways to upgrade to Cobra brakes without breaking the bank on a new kit for a grand. I was wondering if anyone's used Rockauto to buy reman loaded calipers? If so, which ones should I pick up? There are options from Motorcraft (rear only), Centric, Raybestos, and Retech. Does any of that matter at all? Not really very knowledgeable about this.

Are you talking about full set, front and rear - or just the fronts?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think I have a set of fronts that are ugly and need some work, but are a cheap starting point.

RichV

Reaction score
Yea, are you looking for full-on Cobra braking? Or just front calipers/rotors?

I looked at Rockauto a while back, and they did have some cheap options. But the shipping usually killed the savings.

They used to have this set in Cobra versions but I'm not seeing it anymore... Honestly, this is a decent deal. $380
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4659189&cc=1134133

KC1300.jpg

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They used to have this set in Cobra versions but I'm not seeing it anymore... Honestly, this is a decent deal. $380
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4659189&cc=1134133

KC1300.jpg

Those are the GT/V6 brakes, right? Reading the specs on the link, the front rotors are ~11" and the rears are ~10.5 - also the front caliper is a single piston. Even so, you are right, $380 is pretty cheap for all that. I paid almost that much just for new rear calipers.

RichV

Reaction score
Yea, the older GT/V6 stuff. You can also get the kit 99-04 GT PBR, list is $400 for that one. That is a true upgrade to the older gen brakes, I ran that on a track car for many years. Never let me down.

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
I'd love to do the full set but I might start with just the front, as I'm getting some wobble when braking so I'm pretty sure my rotors are shot anyways. Might as well upgrade a little while I'm changing things out. I'm looking to do 13 inch brakes all around at some point, though.

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score

Yeah, I know about those, but I was looking for ways around dropping a grand for front and back together... might be unavoidable though.

RichV

Reaction score
OHHHH, gotcha. :)

I thought you were running them on a Mustang, sorry.

squirlye

Reaction score
POWER STOP Part # KC1304B
Z23 Evolution Sport w/Red Powder Calipers; Reman Click Info for full list of components.
Front
getimage.php

* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 5 business days
You should look into these for your front brakes. 13" rotors 2 piston calipers just like the "03" Terminator. I am looking at this for my 96 GT

RichV

Reaction score
The 94-04 Cobra brake systems are the same IIRC. Less the hydroboost/IRS.

lutter94

Reaction score
PartPrice
Front Left Cobra Caliper (A-1)
w/ bracket & hardware
$96.29
Front Right Cobra Caliper (A-1)
w/ bracket & hardware
$96.29
Front Cobra PowerStop Z23 Ceramic Pads
Zinc Rotors (Drilled/Slotted)
$154.79
Rear Left Cobra Caliper (A-1)
w/ bracket & hardware
$92.89
Rear Right Cobra Caliper (A-1)
w/ bracket & hardware
$93.79
Rear Cobra Power Stop Z23 Ceramic Pads
Zinc Rotors (Drilled/Slotted)
$123.79
Total Shipping$58.29
RockAuto Discount-$21.04
Total$695.09

If you left the Rear GT Calipers on, and bought the GT Rear PowerStop Z23 Pads/Rotors Kit, you'd save $202.99 for a total of $492.10.

squirlye

Reaction score
:headbang:I did some research. And found that powerstop makes a complete kit for well under $1000. Check out Jegs.com part # KC1305A I think they have the cheapest and free shipping to boot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online