Rod knock/spun bearing

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
It only happens when I'm crusing at a steady speed, if I accelerate or decelerate even a tiny bit it stops.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
It's not time chains the rattling is most definitely at the rear of the engine.
OK so what's lash adjuster?
I ve not looked into this

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi all well it went to the garage and they had a look at the car. Oil drain and filter cut open and nothing found. They then played around a little more and although they could hear the rattling sound they were not convinced it was coming from the engine. They dropped the idle down to 400 rpm and the rattling sound was bad but its the clutch release bearing, as soon as you push down the clutch pedal the noise went away.
I will be posting two videos. One is of the rattling sound when playing with the rpm and the other is the rattling sound when the idle was dropped to 400rpm

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I'm not there but dose it sound like the top end or the bottom end
I can see on the video the slight jerking on the engine
It is hard to tell bottom or top making the noise
See if the crank pulley has any play back and forth if it dose the thrust bearing is gone

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Hi all well it went to the garage and they had a look at the car. Oil drain and filter cut open and nothing found. They then played around a little more and although they could hear the rattling sound they were not convinced it was coming from the engine. They dropped the idle down to 400 rpm and the rattling sound was bad but its the clutch release bearing, as soon as you push down the clutch pedal the noise went away.
I will be posting two videos. One is of the rattling sound when playing with the rpm and the other is the rattling sound when the idle was dropped to 400rpm

Good to hear! As I said, looking online for solutions to random car noises only makes you paranoid. Did they give you an estimate for fixing the release bearing or are you going to try it yourself?

Also, anything under 500 RPMs really isn't great for the engine anyway, you'll hear bad noises doing that no matter what. My old 98 V6 made a terrible metal on metal sound when almost stalled under 500, and many of my friends' mustang's made their own weird noises when the RPMs dropped like that. If there is any weird noises at or under that, I wouldnt worry about it. These engines arent designed to ever run at those low speeds.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Yep they quoted me £950 ($1200) to do the job
Out of interest what should the safe idle be?
We found out that although it would idle at 400rpm it was happy when we loaded the engine by turning on the AC. It seem pretty happy at 550rpm. They did say my ordinary idle was to high which was 925 ish rpm. They have set it to 800 now

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Yep they quoted me £950 ($1200) to do the job
Out of interest what should the safe idle be?
We found out that although it would idle at 400rpm it was happy when we loaded the engine by turning on the AC. It seem pretty happy at 550rpm. They did say my ordinary idle was to high which was 925 ish rpm. They have set it to 800 now

700-800 is pretty good. My new GT generally idles at 750-800, but it fluctuates slightly randomly, but my last mustang did that too.

I wonder why it regularly idles at 925 ish tho. Does it idle there even when it's been driven around and is fully warmed up? If so it might have a tune on it, which would be a nice suprise. Could also just be old stuff being old.

Also, go check around at other shops. I'm not very experienced in the tranny/clutch department but I've done throw out bearings and such. I dont know what or where the release bearing is but ask a couple different shops how much they'd do it for, and the general difficulty of the job if you're willing to disconnect your tranny. Either way, it's good to see what shops will charge what, but make sure they all do good work.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
The car has a diablosport 93 octane tune on her.
I will look into the settings of the tune once I find out how to use the little iPhone size handheld device

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
The car has a diablosport 93 octane tune on her.
I will look into the settings of the tune once I find out how to use the little iPhone size handheld device

If it's got a Diablo tune on her, I would set the idle back to where it was with the tune. If the tuner set the idle that high, you should probably leave it that high.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Well diabolospot have got back to me and I sent them my current tune and they said its definitely a 93 octane tune and the idle time should not be as high as 900rpm and should be between 500 to 800rpm

Silver95bird

Reaction score
I'm starting to feel more confident by the posting that this isn't a rod knock. Throw out bearings on the other hand are not at all uncommon, and definitely easier to diagnose. Glad youre making progress.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Well clutch kit has been ordered and thinking of fitting a lighten flywheel at the same time
Screenshot_20191222-152001.png Screenshot_20191222-152001.png Screenshot_20191222-152001.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191222-151950.png
    Screenshot_20191222-151950.png
    683.2 KB · Views: 9

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You must call M-Pact and check if the light fly wheel will match the kit you bought because light fly wheels are not as thick..and it matters.
And get the Ford FRPP throw out bearing, it is the only one that lasts and..
They are ALL made in China so you want the best one from China.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
More.
The clutch fork is working at a 10:1 ratio so a small difference in thickness makes 10 times the difference in the clutch peddle and pressure plate clamping, a real big deal. So Rock Auto carries a .050 shim plate that goes behind the fly wheel and you might need it and it is cheap.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I have ordered one 0.050" and two 0.025" shims.
I was not aware that the lighten flywheel may not fit the clutch kit
I can't find anyone selling the ford frpp throw out bearing.
I have also ordered a new fork.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This is the stuff they do not tell you till it is all back together and it does not work.
They will say that kit will not work with that fly wheel but if you buy this triple priced one..
Ask me how I know.
Of corse the is no supporting information to check before you buy.
Now I buy total kits. There are not many companies that are the actual manufactures, who makes M-Pact?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online