Roll Cage?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I just wanted to see your guys opinions on roll cages for my type of car. It is s/c'd, pi intake, and i plan to run eventually 400rwhp. Do you think it would be a good idea to get a 6 pt. roll cage? Or do you think it would be stupid comsidering i dont have a "race car"? If you think it would be a good idea, what cages do people go with? thanks

GaryG

Reaction score
when i get my next mustang, im gonna do a 6 or 8 pt roll cage even tho its gonna be a street car, and (some1 correct me if im wrong) but iirc, installing a roll cage will help reduce chassis flex

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
i'm thinking of going with a steeda 4pt. roll bar .... its like $250

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think i am gonna ditch my Style bar in favor of a 4 point set up from MM.

Heres a car like mine with it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like the padded look, reminds me of when i was younger and raced BMX :banana:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
blown97stanger said:
I just wanted to see your guys opinions on roll cages for my type of car. It is s/c'd, pi intake, and i plan to run eventually 400rwhp. Do you think it would be a good idea to get a 6 pt. roll cage? Or do you think it would be stupid comsidering i dont have a "race car"? If you think it would be a good idea, what cages do people go with? thanks

Well under a certain et at the track they REQUIRE you to have a cage in your car, weather yours ever runs that fast is up to you. For a DD car I dont think I would put a cage in it, but thats just me. If I had kept my 91GT I would have wound up with a cage in it, and it was not my main DD but I did drive it quite a bit.

My vote is NO :)

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
that looks really nice. I was just looking at the MM roll cages too and they definately have more options than steeda. I think if i was to ever go with one it would be this:

rollbar.jpg

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
any vert under 13.99 needs atleast a 4 or 6 point at most of the tracks in NJ (NHRA Rules)

voidfinger

Reaction score
i would vote no also, i think that its un nec. and IMHO , i like the styling bar better than the 4 point "thing". But whatever floats your boat.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
any vert under 13.99 needs atleast a 4 or 6 point at most of the tracks in NJ (NHRA Rules)

hes WAYYY faster than that, but hes a hard top :)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
DropTopPony said:

hes WAYYY faster than that, but hes a hard top :)

oooops i don't know why i thought he was a vert :hammer:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
i would vote no also, i think that its un nec. and IMHO , i like the styling bar better than the 4 point "thing". But whatever floats your boat.

I like the Style bar better also but I was thrown off the track for doing 12.8's N/A so i'm thinking with 10lbs of boost the car won't get any slower and I do like to hit the track a few times a year...so its get the Roll Bar or no track :'(

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
yeah coupe here, and the more i think about it i guess it is pretty unnecessary, the coupe is actually a pretty tight car the way it is.

voidfinger

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
voidfinger said:

I like the Style bar better also but I was thrown off the track for doing 12.8's N/A so i'm thinking with 10lbs of boost the car won't get any slower and I do like to hit the track a few times a year...so its get the Roll Bar or no track :'(

Hmmm, 13.99 is the limit for verts huh? I don't know, i'm already close to that with the car stock. o well. Looks like i will have to sand bag till i have a race for some $ ^-^

ripper

Reaction score
In NJ its 13.99 for verts and 11.40 for hardtops. Any car that is not n/a driver must wear certified 3 2-A/1 fire suit jacket. I am putting my rollcage in this fall. Chromolly 6pt. 4pt is nice on verts and you dont need to change the seats.

JUICED

Reaction score
i reccomend the competition engineering 8 point bar and RCI 5 point harnessess.. i highly reccomend it...

its a regular 6 pt bar, but then has 2 more that connect to your SFC's (go through the floor), my MM subframes even have a pad on them where u weld the cage.

until my motor is done i'm not installing the front bars, but in a couple wks here i'm going to have the 6 rear bars installed, and the plates on the floor for the fronts, so when i pop the motor in its 4 quick welds and done :boink:

the reason i'm doing this is i dont like the look of swingouts, and unless you are small (and i am haha) getting over a rollbar daily is a huge PITA. so i suggest either going this route, or getting swing out door bars, so you dont hate driving your car :banana:

but once it has 600+hp, ill deal with the climb :boink:

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
i would only get a cage if your car wasn't a DD and didn't see much city driving...cause if you get in a bad enough accident and your noggin ends up hittin the cage.... :noes:

and im pretty sure they are most likely not street legal either.

voidfinger

Reaction score
i don't know, if i got into another bad accident like my first.....i would really want a cage in this vert. If it wasn't for the hard top on my 89 i wouldn't be here to post with you fine fellas. O well, its all good. Just gotta be more careful and not drive when i've only had 2 hours of sleep in the last 2 days. :blah2:

White 96GT

Reaction score
what kinda interior modding goes on with lets say a 4 point roll cage do you have to delete the rear seat? I mean I would be awsome if the interior was left alone but I doubt thats happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online