RPM REV limiter

jpajkos

Reaction score
Hey on my 96 GT does it have an electronic Rev Limiter that can be taken off? Last night was driving give it some gas car would rev to 6k redline then quite? Is this due to a rev limiter? Never did it before on my old NPI set up. When the car gets tuned can it be taken off? This really bothers me cuz I can't stay in first gear that long and it frankly pisses me off when I try to launch. Any help would be cool thanks guys.

97vertstang

Reaction score
the rev limiter is set to 6050 :dunno: i believe, at least thats what my cousins 00 gt was set to. frankly, unless u have aftermarket cams and aftermarket rods, u dont need any more rpm. at what rpm was ur top horsepower at???? usually u need to shift 200-300 rpm above ur top horsepower.anything more than that and ur just overrevving it.

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
Well it's just I can't launch correctly. I don't know if the P.I. engine is different it just seemed I was able to ride through the launch alittle longer before shifting into second. I guess once I get my springs on and some Maximum Motorsport Lower control arms on I'll be able to launch better. Maybe I should be shifting alot sooner out of first?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
6050 I thought the 5.0s were set to like 6100...and they cant rev as high. Crazy.

There was a FMS procut that came out back in 95ish that would raise the rev limiter.

Another thing to go is get a aftermarket ignition box like Msd, Crane etc (heard some bad stuff about msd) with a built in revlimit control then set it to what ever you wish.

97vertstang

Reaction score
the msd only controls the ignition part of it. the factory uses a fuel shut off to limit the revs.

97vertstang

Reaction score
and i dont know what the earlier GTs are set too. my cousins was for sure 6050 (2000 mustang gt), i would think ours are the same :dunno:

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
Can I change it by hooking it up to a SCT X-Cal 2?

Ender

Reaction score
Our rev limiter is set at 6300 RPM. There is no reason to go any higher unless you have a wild setup with heavily ported heads, hot cams, and a high RPM intake like Reichard Racing's unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online