Running rich, need help

MrPool

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my recently acquisition of my '97 Mustang has lead to the inevitability that I must now get it smogged in order to complete registration (as the guy who sold it to me has literally just barely been over 90 days since he last had it smogged...), so I'm gonna need to get it smogged.
Problem is, with it running as rich as it tends to run, I doubt it would make it far in terms of emissions. I'm pretty sure any smog tech would probably rip me apart if I brought that thing in as it is.

It's got a tuner chip in the center console, so I'm pretty sure that's what's screwing with the emissions (and triggering a check engine light to boot), but I'm not sure how to remove it.

Anyone have any tips as to what I should do? Registration is due really soon on this thing and I need to get it smogged and cleared up ASAP.

07GtS197

Reaction score
First and foremost you need to get the codes read to see whats going on with it. It could be the chip or it could be one of the o2 sensors failing etc. what kind of chip are you referring to, like an sct 4 bank or a tune from something like a predator or x3/x4?

OP
OP
M

MrPool

Reaction score
It's a 4 bank tuner. I'm not sure the brand, as it came that way and I've never dealt with tuners before. I imagine the code is being thrown by the tuner because when I use a scan tool it won't give me anything.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of it. Sounds like its an sct 4 bank chip. If thats the case, its not tune related because the chip needs to be plugged in to run the tune. When you run codes nothing at all comes up?

OP
OP
M

MrPool

Reaction score
20160629_195719_zpswgnzyafy.jpg

Here's the chip. I'm not sure how it was even wired in but it looks like it was done through the dash directly to my computer, but I don't know which cable to check first.
Any ideas?
20160629_195708_zps9thfka0z.jpg

OP
OP
M

MrPool

Reaction score
the hell is that thing? it looks like it fits in a giant clock for ants
I honestly have no idea, and haven't had the slightest clue since I bought the thing...All I can figure is what the guy said when I bought it, and how he was using it when he was demonstrating it to me.
It looks like a cheaply put in tuner to the best I can figure, but honestly I just want the damn thing gone. It's interfering with my computer's codes and throwing a P1000 at me every time i start up.

The light goes off if I run it long enough or if I put the tuner on the right setting, but until that thing is gone I have no idea what's really throwing that code.

OP
OP
M

MrPool

Reaction score
Yeah...I honestly have no idea why anyone uses those things at all. I'd just cut the wires and end it myself but I don't wanna do anything stupid.
Frankly the whole thing is pissing me off, and I still need that smog cert, due to the ridiculous California state regulations on this crap.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Since it isnt a flash tuner you should be able to cut the wires. It didnt flash a tune on the ecu, its on the chip and gets loaded when you turn the car on.

Edit: After googling that 6601 part number it looks like its an sct part number for the switch for a 4 bank eliminator chip so cutting it will just disable the switch. Youre going to have to trace the wires back to the source, where the chip is, and remove it. Or youll have to play with the switch to see which setting is the stock tune.

OP
OP
M

MrPool

Reaction score
That's what I was kind of afraid of...I'm gonna end up having to practically rip the dash and console trim out completely in order to trace that wire. Assuming, of course, the chip itself is anywhere near my computer...Which if it is I have yet to find it.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I thought the eliminator chip plugged directly into the ecu but Im not sure. You could get into the pass or drivers side footwell and look from one side to the other behind the radio. That way you dont have to take the dash apart.

And by the way the ecu is behind the passenger side kick panel if you didnt already know.

OP
OP
M

MrPool

Reaction score
981_zpsmoqknubl.jpg

After having a bit of trouble fishing the wire out from behind the footwell (it was tucked in there pretty deep), I think I've managed to trace it back to the ecu.
Next step is likely going to be removing the ecu altogether to unplug the chip, as it seems to be wedged up there pretty far.
980_zpsrt0mg6v4.jpg

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you've found it! I don't necessarily think the chip is your issue, however it might not be a bad place to start.

OP
OP
M

MrPool

Reaction score
What would you suggest if the chip turns out to not be the issue?
The only code I can really get from a scantool as to why a check engine light would trip is a PO117, and I'm likely to just replace my coolant temp sensor altogether for that.
The smog guy I talked to was going on about my intake and how that might affect it as well, so I might have to change that out too (It's a BBK #21514).

Seems like the more I discover here the happier I am I didn't pay the guy I bought the mustang from what he was asking.

07GtS197

Reaction score
That might be your problem. The coolant temp sensor is vital in determining afr. Since its cheap Id swap that out and reset the ecu.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online