Running Rough or Misfire?

Ballistic

Reaction score
Last night I cleaned the engine bay and whole car (covered the air filter) And drove it to work this morning and felt fine. I went to leave for lunch and I could immediately tell it doesn’t feel right, when parked and running would shake the care a little bit not a lot just a little bit, when I step on it and it feels like its miss firing and I think I was smelling a little fuel. I limped it back home and checked the coil packs and let it sit for like 10-15mins took it around the block was still doing it. Brought it back and parked it and took the truck back to work. Not sure if it liked sitting in the hot sun for a few hours or got moisture in somewhere and just needs to dry out.

I think I’m going to replace the spark plug wires, spark plugs, and coil packs in the next week.

Anyway, any ideas on what to check or try?

Thanks in advanced.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Check to see if water got under the coil packs. Use a blow gun to clean out where the packs go in. Water probably got in. You don't need to change the packs unless you determine it to be bad, or you have a CEL and it says misfire on the specific cylinder. Save your $

Reaction score
Kinds sounds like what my car is doing now. I'm gonna be replacing my fuel filter along with my injectors soon but I also am sure I put shit gas in the car which is what caused this

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Kinds sounds like what my car is doing now. I'm gonna be replacing my fuel filter along with my injectors soon but I also am sure I put shit gas in the car which is what caused this

You know i dont know when or if the fuel filter has ever been replaced.. I should just replace it..

It has no Check Engine Light though.

Ill try it in the morning before work and hope for the best. If not ill have to dig into it deeper tomorrow.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
[MENTION=19732]Ballistic[/MENTION] how did you clean your engine bay? Im guessing with a pressure washer. If so I would start by pulling the spark plug boots and make sure no water is down in the holes, then clean all the connections. Replacing the plug wires wouldnt be a bad idea. Also make sure your maf connector didnt get any water in it, or the maf itself. Then if there is no avail, if you havent replaced any vacuum lines, sometimes they get brittle and the pressure washer might have been just enough to crack one of those lines. You might want to look over those as well.

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Ballistic how did you clean your engine bay? Im guessing with a pressure washer. If so I would start by pulling the spark plug boots and make sure no water is down in the holes, then clean all the connections. Replacing the plug wires wouldnt be a bad idea. Also make sure your maf connector didnt get any water in it, or the maf itself. Then if there is no avail, if you havent replaced any vacuum lines, sometimes they get brittle and the pressure washer might have been just enough to crack one of those lines. You might want to look over those as well.

I usually do, but this time i just hosed it down with degreaser, and came in with a detail goat hair brush to brush some of the areas, then sprayed off with a regular garden hose.

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Tried it this morning and still doing the same thing, tried to record what sound its making while driving but too hard with wind.

I did hear a different kind of sound from the exhaust and recorded it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WsO9gatGGo theirs like a little ticking..

Reaction score
I'm gonna be replacing a whole bunch of parts down the road with no real way to tell if they will fix the issue but I have plans to change: fuel filter, injectors, fuel rails, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and coil packs. And if the issue still continues well then :rage: but I'm hoping the filter and injectors will fix my issue

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
I'm gonna be replacing a whole bunch of parts down the road with no real way to tell if they will fix the issue but I have plans to change: fuel filter, injectors, fuel rails, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and coil packs. And if the issue still continues well then :rage: but I'm hoping the filter and injectors will fix my issue

Im at that point where i want to replace all those but im waiting to get my new truck to daily so i can then save and do a coyote aluminator swap.. Just need to keep this motor happy for a little while.

Edit: gonna start with some plug wires going to order these and 2day them: https://lmr.com/item/M12259R462/1996-98-Mustang-46L-2V-Red-Plug-Wire-Set

For a fuel filter, just stick with Motorcraft or is there a better one to use? https://lmr.com/item/FG800A/1983-97-Mustang-Motorcraft-Fuel-Filter-For-23L-38L-46L-50L

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Alright, 2 day aired those should get them Friday.. Ill replace the Spark plug wires see if that works and next time its on the lift ill replace the fuel filter.

And if this doesn't work ill just have to take it to my friends shop or ford dealership..

i remember few months ago i would step on it and it would sputter kinda like it is now but not as bad, i unplugged and re plugged in coil pack wire connector on the front and it seemed to fix that.

Would my SCT X4 tuner show if i did a data log on whats going on?

Reaction score
Just started it up [MENTION=19732]Ballistic[/MENTION] and that there should tell you enough hahah jk. I'm more than mechanically inclined. But seems to fire up and sound healthier. I'm gonna post it all in a couple hours. Gonna swap out the oil too since she's due

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online