Rust near the shock tower.,,

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Hey what's up sn95'ers, who here has tackled this? I just got done finish installing my TB/Plenum setup and notice a small rust patch on the bottom of the shock tower on passenger side where the air intake system is. I was looking at it and kind of got depressed, but I started rationalizing and said its a 20 year old car. One day I am going to restore everything back to its full glory. I will post pics soon.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
2hzmiv6.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that doesn't look that bad, is there a hole or can you bend the metal? If not take a wire brush to it followed up with some rust encapsulating paint for what you can't get too.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
that doesn't look that bad, is there a hole or can you bend the metal? If not take a wire brush to it followed up with some rust encapsulating paint for what you can't get too.

It is really minor ttocs, just sucks looking at it. I have no idea why its there. It is random area but I want to fix it soon. There is a hole there but its very small.

Goldmember

Reaction score
POR-15 is your friend. Seal it up properly and it will never come back. For 18 years old that's not bad, at all.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
real question is what is on the other side you can't see.......... But if it isn't weakened the metal to where there is a huge hole or you can bend it and pull pieces off you can sand it down or I am pretty sure you can get a chemical at autozone to do it as well or just use vinegar. Get as much off as you can on both sides and then cover it up. my car wasn't driven in snow and spend 10 yrs in the desert in az and I have been finding small rust patches under some brackets I have removed here/there. These are spots that you would never see short off cutting those off but would eventually keep rotting away on a car that has been treated fairly well. We probably all have some rust we don't know about....

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good point Scott.... mine had the usual rust under the battery.... *sigh*

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
POR-15 is your friend. Seal it up properly and it will never come back. For 18 years old that's not bad, at all.

The car spent most of its life in garage with daily driver duty for 5 years from me. I barely driven it in the winter except once or twice. The car stays dry all the time now and the only time it gets wet is when its washed thoroughly in my driveway. I'm afraid what it might look on the other side, if its something that is very small I am going to see what I can do about it.

Yeah you're lucky if that's the worst you got. I just fixed mine
be3e5esy.jpg

FAWK! Thats a crapppppppp load of rust near the k-member. I am going to have to get a flashlight and see if I can see if I have anything similiar to that!

real question is what is on the other side you can't see.......... But if it isn't weakened the metal to where there is a huge hole or you can bend it and pull pieces off you can sand it down or I am pretty sure you can get a chemical at autozone to do it as well or just use vinegar. Get as much off as you can on both sides and then cover it up. my car wasn't driven in snow and spend 10 yrs in the desert in az and I have been finding small rust patches under some brackets I have removed here/there. These are spots that you would never see short off cutting those off but would eventually keep rotting away on a car that has been treated fairly well. We probably all have some rust we don't know about....

This is probably a trouble area for sn95's just how like fox-bodys have there areas where the water collects and rusts that spot. When I get my new wheels, I am going to look back there to see what I can find.

Good point Scott.... mine had the usual rust under the battery.... *sigh*

that is probably another spot where water collects and pools.

PM me.

Sent from Space

Just did steve!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Almost all sn95's have it around the passenger shock tower due to a piss poor design on where the water accumulates from the ac. I have yet to see a sn that didn't have at least a little, even when garage kept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Almost all sn95's have it around the passenger shock tower due to a piss poor design on where the water accumulates from the ac. I have yet to see a sn that didn't have at least a little, even when garage kept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So thats why I have it there, make a lot of sense. Its very little rust there but I always wondered why it was there. I only used the A/C a hand full of times out the 9 years of ownership of my car.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
real question is what is on the other side you can't see.......... But if it isn't weakened the metal to where there is a huge hole or you can bend it and pull pieces off you can sand it down or I am pretty sure you can get a chemical at autozone to do it as well or just use vinegar. Get as much off as you can on both sides and then cover it up.
After the summer, I would take care of it. My rust spot started out the size of a golf ball: http://forums.corral.net/forums/94-95-tech/930873-my-rust-project-not-56k-friendly.html

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
ttocs, thanks for posting up a picture of the frame rail, yours look really good. I am going to check mine this summer to see what type of condition mine is when I install some new hardware in. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online

No members online now.