rusting trunk drip rail

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes you would need a welder and you would need to know how to use it. That doesn't mean you have to run and buy one just find someone that has one. You can cut the area out that needs to be repaired and get a patch panel ready to go in for if you find a buddy with a welder that can help. The actual welding portion of the project is probably one of the shorter parts of the repair once you have the cancer cut out and the patch perfect and ready to go back in.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I can buy a Lincoln MIG welder for under $400 I'm sure like you said before I'll find other uses for it my step dad used to be a welder I'm sure he can teach me the basics and I can learn from experience I'm sure the repair will be way more than $400. I know the bodywork after welding in the patch panels is main time consumer. Body filler/bondo primer etc but still be cheaper for me to buy a welder and do it myself plus the satisfaction of knowing I repaired it myself as well and learned and learned a new craft as well.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
fantastic advice! I got my welder about 3 yrs ago and its amazing how many doors for projects that it has opened up. When I got started I went to my local sheet metal supplier and asked if they had any old scrap pieces that I could use to learn and burn with. They were happy to help as I am sure they knew it meant I would be back to buy from them and I have.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
same but different. A flux core means it doesn't need the shielding gas if I am not mistaken. The advantage is that you do not need the gas so less $$$ but if I am not mistaken the flux core is a messier weld. It just does not come out like the nice clean welds you are use to seeing but I think after you grind it down its all the same.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Scott you have it right. Flux is very messy. Spits and pops a lot.

It also doesn't penetrate as well as when using gas.

If only doing sheet metal, exhaust, and small projects either is fine.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
most migs can do either but a small tank of gas is not that expensive and trust me if your buying a welder you will find uses for it. I fixed my roll around stool, made a an organizer for my tool box to help me fit 3x as many pliers in my tool box as a practice piece out of the scrap I got from the sheet metal place and some nails.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Well I found some more damage besides the rust thinking it's the reason why the rust or one of the reasons it rusted to begin with, but don't know what caused it. Had a friend say looked like someone messed it up replacing the back glass somewhere down the line. Plus found the weather strip at the bottom of the glass is dry rotted as well. Here's a picture of the new damage I found wondering how hard it'll be to fix with a welder?

20151120_080203_zpsr8fnw84m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

chris86uk

Reaction score
It all depends how much the car is worth to YOU. It's not always about the money is it.

That aside, if the car is good I'd have the welding done. The alternative is buying another car with who-knows how many other problems.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that doesn't look too bad as far as the rust, mainly surface. You would need to do some scraping on it to be sure but you could probably weld up the crack and then seal/prime/paint

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Well found out the cracks and rust are a lot worse than I thought seems like every time I think I'm making progress with the car something like this pops up and takes money away from what I was planning on doing.

Here's how bad the crack is on the passenger side.

And here's part of the rust damage don't know if I'll have enough money to get it fixed anytime soon

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that does suck. Looks like you would need to weld in a little more metal then you thought and remember there is still more rust on the other side you can't see yet.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I know makes me wonder if I should just sell it and cut my losses and try to find one in better shape or if I should try to a front end collision donor car to get the patch panels I'll need and weld them back in myself or pay someone.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well then its simple. How much money do you have? How much time do you have? How likely are you to do a repair like this yourself? Weigh those out and you should find your answer.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Don't really have the money right now but will have around $500-$600 by the end of the month which I was planning using to take out and rebuild my transmission then work on the trunk. I should have around $1000-$1500 by time we get tax checks again. If I can buy a donor car and do it myself for $1000 or less I'll be ok the transmission will have to wait time wise I'm not worried about that I can take a week off and do it then.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score

that's the driver's side

and here's the passenger side what would cause cracks like this? I'm wanting to fix it and hopefully prevent it from happening again in the future.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
have your rear quarters been replaced before? Was in it a rear end accident? The difference in the paint on the inside makes me wonder.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I don't know what's happened to it through the years it was like that when I bought it but didn't think about popping the trunk before buying it. How can I tell if the rear quarter panels have been replaced? How can I repair and prevent the cracks from coming back again?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Holy swizzlestix batman!!!!

That doesn't look good at all!!!

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Wow I've never seen that before??? I would message the previous seller and ask what the hell happened. You would have to take the trunk off and remove the rear window in order to even try to tackle this fix. Is this your daily?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online