rusting trunk drip rail

godfearingman

Reaction score
Hi have a 1994 gt I recently bought thought the body was in relatively good shape until today popped the trunk and there's rust and places where the rust has rusted all the way through. I don't have the money right now to fix all the damage wondering what I can do to stop the rust from spreading any worse than it has and how I can patch it up enough to get by until I can fix it properly. Thanks in advance.

lutter94

Reaction score
that really sucks, have any pics? best thing would be sand it down and spray some rustoleum.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I'm thinking about just selling the car and cutting my loses
IMG_20150603_23376_zps1o4hg5kx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20150603_11205_zpssqb83kah.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]
IMG_20150603_58269_zpsxcsp9aiu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
where its just surface rust you can sand it off with paper/wire brush and there are a number of paints made to encapsulate what remains to keep it from coming back. Where there are holes you will need to cut the area back an inch or two to get to some good metal and then weld a piece back in.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I don't have the money for a machine like that right now especially for basically one time use. How much would a body shop cost to fix it?

lutter94

Reaction score
only one way to find out, i've never been in your situation, nor do i run a body shop, lol

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Lol ok neither have I until now as far as the welder goes don't see why to spend a lot of money in one I probably won't use again

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would not recommend a HF welder myself. I got decided to get one 3 yrs ago but went with a miller that cost a little bit more but also lasts longer. There really isn't any shortcut to repairing rust. Beside the price of the welder you will probably need to get something from another car to weld into place. I can say that having a welder in the garage opened up an world of opportunities for projects I wasn't able to do before.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I've had buddies say to fiberglass the areas instead of welding said it'll do basically the same thing but a lot easier and cheaper.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
great idea!

As long as you are planning on selling it in 2 weeks.

To someone you either do not know or do not like I also might add.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
My cousins husband who used to do bodywork said I'll need an mig welder but said that it'll cost more to fix the damage than the car is worth and I should sell it. If I can get it repaired for $500 or under I will but don't think I feel comfortable spending more than that on the repair.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online