rwhp question and taking suggestions

96GTGREENVERT

Reaction score
I am new to the game of NPI modification. I had an 02GT but I found a 96 GT convertible with 50000ish miles and I had to have it. Anyhow I was wondering with a bone stock 96GT automatic what kind of RWHP numbers would I really see with a KB 2.1 SC kit? Their website says at 9psi +151HP. I was thinking about that kit but will the stock bottom end handle it with no problems? It appears this car has been well taken care of and doesnt appear to have any problems. Just curious if anyone has a little info. I was also considering a full PI swap with Stage 2 heads and a little hotter cam package. Which would be the best bet. This car is a daily driver I dont intend to race at a track or anything I just love Mustangs and want some more go to go with the sheer beauty of this 96GT convertible. Thanks in advance for anyone that responds. ;)

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
The KB will give you more power and have better street manners than a cam'd and staged up heads! both will be around the same price though! Also the KB will give you much more power!!

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
You can go with the KB 2.1 if its just going to be a daily driver. With the stock bottom end you should keep the HP just under 410 or so. If you wanna go nuts and do the full monty then go with the 2.8 liter unit, forged internals, VT engines stage II blower cams and Stage II ported heads and some headers, you should make 500 RWHP if not more.

Hell, just go twin turbos ;D ;D :naughty: :naughty:

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
MustangMatt96GT said:
The KB will give you more power and have better street manners than a cam'd and staged up heads! both will be around the same price though! Also the KB will give you much more power!!

very true, but i must say ive seen 400rwhp blown mustangs get out run pretty bad by 300rwhp NA mustangs with very well experienced drivers... the power being NA vs Boost is completely different. so u gotta ask yourself, what is it u really want outta ur car. but one thing, power numbers arent everything, its alot to do with the driver and the full set up...

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
But youre forgetting the most crucial part to putting all this power to good use....

Suspension and tires. lol

S

scarface

the SC would be fun for the street, probably around 300 or so on a stock engine.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Yeah I would invest in a suspension that you can use the power you are making right now to potential and then start the motor mods! Nothing is better than having a 200 HP car with suspension beat a 400 HP car that doesnt have any suspension mods!

OP
OP

96GTGREENVERT

Reaction score
Alright guys thanks for the input. I am going to have to do a little saving and then get working on the suspension. Sounds like I will be getting the KB when its all said and done. Thanks again for the input.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
very true, but i must say ive seen 400rwhp blown mustangs get out run pretty bad by 300rwhp NA mustangs with very well experienced drivers... the power being NA vs Boost is completely different. so u gotta ask yourself, what is it u really want outta ur car. but one thing, power numbers arent everything, its alot to do with the driver and the full set up...
[/quote]
That is because of driver or one has slicks, weight. You will have more fun with the KB. Don't forget roots blowers puts more of a strain on the motor over Vortech or procharger because they hit full boost instantly.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Send Gdawg a PM and ask him how he likes the KB on his basically stock 98 GT...i can see his smile through the computer he likes it so much.

S

scarface

DropTopPony said:
Send Gdawg a PM and ask him how he likes the KB on his basically stock 98 GT...i can see his smile through the computer he likes it so much.
sooo true! :)

OP
OP

96GTGREENVERT

Reaction score
I just found out the car already has a spring and shock package on it. I thought so but didnt want to look stupid so i didnt say anything before. Oh too late the stupid flag is flying already. So there is a small savings in money. Anyhow after all that I just ordered 18x9 and 18x10 black bullet wheels and I just bought Riken Raptor rubber to wrap em in. What other suspension mods might one suggest before motor mods? Thanks again for everyones help. I am starting to really lean towards heads, cams and intake over a SC too. Just think that is all I am going to want. I have always been a big fan of doing it NA. Who has the best heads for our engines? I have been reading other posts on this website and I have been intrigued by the knowledge and helpfullness of you guys. That is for another day though. Grip is the first priority.

OP
OP

96GTGREENVERT

Reaction score
Any suggestions on which brand scarface? Does it matter if they are adjustable or not?

OP
OP

96GTGREENVERT

Reaction score
Thanks for the input man. I will have to get a set in a couple of weeks. What kind of install time is it to change the control arms? Just wondering how much Im going to get soaked for at the shop. Still dont know if I should go with the adjustables or not.

S

scarface

96GTGREENVERT said:
Thanks for the input man. I will have to get a set in a couple of weeks. What kind of install time is it to change the control arms? Just wondering how much Im going to get soaked for at the shop. Still dont know if I should go with the adjustables or not.
I ran the non adjustables with no issues... THe adjustables allow you to change the pinion angle. It took me 2 hours to do all 4 in my garage by myself.

OP
OP

96GTGREENVERT

Reaction score
Just got my wheels and tires mounted over the weekend. They look sweet and the handling is like I got a different car. Never thought tires would make that much of a difference. This weekend will be getting 4.10 gears, speed cal and a B&M hammer shifter installed just because I thought it might me a cool mod. Hopefully the gears will wake her up a bit. That seems to be the consenus on the board here. Its been a little rough trying to find the MM control arms here in Hagerstown, MD because no one installs parts they dont sell. Has anyone heard Pypes cat back on a car? Just wondering because I was thinking about getting a Pypes cat back maybe the catted X too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online