S-281 Wing fitment

snoball

Reaction score
When we built a 99 gt we got all of the saleen parts from haney. If you look in customer rides its on there. Its a yellow 99 vert. That was right after we put everything on. It looked a ton different when we changed the hood and wheels. Not to mention a built 01 cobra motor with a procharger running about 570 to the wheels.

Reaction score
My wing is due to arrive tomorrow from Stage3 which they ordered from Saleen. I hope it has 4 studs, as they said, but I'm doubting that. I really don't want to deal with finding a way to mount 2 other studs in the wing, but I refuse to use sticky tape.
I'll see if I can post some pics of the "raw" wing. It was $180 shipped. Saturday, I hope to remove the old wing and do a mock install to make sure it fits and correct any warping. I'll send to paint next week and hopefully will have it on by next Saturday.
Here is what I hope it looks like:

112742.jpg

FST-HUH

Reaction score
On my old car I used to have original s281 wing that I bought from SALEEN. Never had any problems with it. It was two screw and 3M tape in the back. I bought my 3M double sick tape @ Home Depot store the one that is ment to be used for exterior and it's weather proof. Tape is "RED". Anyway here are some pics.

DSCF1458.jpg

DSCF1813.jpg

100_0187.jpg

snoball

Reaction score
Who owns that car now, ive seen it before and it was after you had the red one?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
KzooMuscle said:
Have any of you heard of Haney Motorsport? I guess they are an offical Saleen parts dealer and are selling the 281 at a pretty good price of 179.95.

ABC exclusive has 2 281 spoilers, one in "hand made" Polyurethane and the other is a "OEM" wing. Which is better? Or are they both good quality?

Id go with the ABC version, hand made poly. 3 out of 3 people ive talked to that got Saleen said they didnt like the fitment, 2 out of 2 people that ot the ABC wing I talked to said it fit great.

FST-HUH

Reaction score
Snoball said:
Who owns that car now, ive seen it before and it was after you had the red one?

It's this kid Joe B. he lives in Affton. He wrecked the car about two months ago, but it's fixable. I think he got all the parts already, but for sure it will need to be repainted. Do you live around So. County. I think I might have seen your car at Sunset car show, last year if I am not mistaken.

snoball

Reaction score
It's this kid Joe B. he lives in Affton. He wrecked the car about two months ago, but it's fixable. I think he got all the parts already, but for sure it will need to be repainted. Do you live around So. County. I think I might have seen your car at Sunset car show, last year if I am not mistaken.
[/quote]

I live off Richardson Road in Arnold. Bout 10 mins from soco hooters. Nope my car wasnt there, i remember because i was in Florida for some baseball tourney. Is the joe kid on stlm?

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
yes ive heard lots of had to do some bending on them, or putting weights on it to get it in its right form. i have read prob 25 times that people use 2 screws then just doublesided tape.

+1

Reaction score
The wing I got truly sucks. It's Saleen - it was on the box (just like FST HUH's) and stamped twice on the inside mold. It only has two threads, not four, and the fitment is awful. I got it over a week ago and am maybe halfway through bending it the way it shoud be.
The threaded inserts on the wing are too far forward, so it doesn't sit flush along the back edge of the decklid. Looks like I'll be drilling a few holes to get it to sit right. The outside tips of the wing stick straight out instead of sitting just off the body. This morning, I boiled gallons of water, filled up my cooler and bent the tips downward to correct this. No body shop will do all this (wouldn't want to see the labor charge, anyway) and the only time I have is on the weekends.
Sorry for the rant, but I woud pay extra for a fiberglass wing that would hold it's shape. I probably have another week of bending and using weights, then have to sand before sending off to paint.
One problem is when you bend one area, another section that you corrected gets screwed up. Did any of you with a urethane wing have these issues? Any tips?

Cobrakid

Reaction score
go to svtperformance and do a search in the sn95 section. there is a thread exactly like this going on, you'll find some info there and relize the saleen wing sucks ballz

N

nckissfan

I read that you install the wing on the car, and sit the car in the sun. It will form to the car like that.

Suspect

Reaction score
damn man that suxs bigtime. :nonono: has anyone complained to saleen? :slap:

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
SonicStang said:
The wing looks kinda out of shape though, means it is too flat

DropTopPony said:
My Saleen fit like doody :(

Mr. Pacific Green said:
The wing I got truly sucks. It's Saleen It only has two threads, not four, and the fitment is awful.

Cobrakid said:
the saleen wing sucks ballz

well here it is DONT BUY SALEEN BODYPARTS...they are a horrible fit.

Not trying to be a ass sorry. Hope you guys work your wings out, it CAN be done, it just takes time and paitence, heat and weights.

I would imagine urethane would fit better then fibreglass, if the fibreglass didnt fit perfect you couldnt do a thing about it.

Tony Montana

Reaction score
When saleen first started selling the 281 wings they were a 4 bolt design. There are some guys on svtperf that have the 4 bolt design (older) authentic saleen wing, however in the last few years saleen has gone to this crappy 2 bolt design requiring you to double side tape the back end.

I had the 2 bolt design on my 97 cobra with double sided tape, i got it to fit pretty good, but would have preferred the 4 bolt. As Matt said go with abc exclusive for this wing, id take 4 bolt over 2 any day.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Just got my 2 bolt saleen one in last week, provided its winter and cold out, the wing hasn't moulded to the trunk lid yet on the sides. The middle is good now but it still slightly fits like crap, I'm probably going to take a heat gun to it in the next few weeks if it doesn't shape up. I'll get some picy's up as soon as I can.

Reaction score
94GtStAnG5o said:
the wing hasn't moulded to the trunk lid yet on the sides. The middle is good now but it still slightly fits like crap, I'm probably going to take a heat gun to it in the next few weeks if it doesn't shape up.

Yeah, I received mine over a month ago and it's just now close to fitting the way I like. I started by sitting bricks on it, then bent the ends down using boiling water in a cooler. The weather has been warm lately, so it's mounted (no tape yet) to the declkid and I have 3lb scuba weight bags sitting on the ends. It gets better each day, but you have to be patient.
I hope to send it to paint in about a week - just want to be completely satisfied with the fit before I do this.
It's a badass wing, but a pain the ass to get it finished.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
The Saleen wing and body kit have to be the worst fitment I
ever seen in my life.The finish isn't that great either though.
Saleens' customer service is horrible and have made people
wait forever for parts. :nonono:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online