S550 14" Brakes on SN95 (2001 Mustang GT)

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
People have been asking about putting 2015 brakes on the SN95, so I thought I'd just go for it. Here's the best part:

Total cost was under $1000!

Required hardware:
S550 Calipers - $100 each (+$50 core)
Rotors (2x): Blanks $60 ea from an auto parts store, slotted $100 ea from StopTech.
FTR Brembo Kit - $450
MM Stainless Brake Lines - $85
Pads (currently only available from Ford) ~$100
Caliper Pin Kit (2x) - ~$12

Total cost: $979!

S550-CALIPERS-ON-SN95-1024x682.jpg

First off, I started with our GT500 Brembo Adapter Kit (http://www.fullytorquedracing.com/sn95-gt500-brembo-brake-kit.html). The S550 calipers use the same mounting pattern as S197 brakes, but there are some clearance issues so we had to machine down a section to get it to clear the bracket. The only other modification we made was to add a 1/8" washer between the bracket and the spindle so everything would line up.

There was a fair bit (maybe took an extra 30 min) of modifying to the caliper, so I'm thinking we'll probably come out with a bracket specifically for the S550 calipers if there's enough interest.

The S550 Caliper is a bit larger than the GT500 Brembo, and also has larger pistons as you see here.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Use the S550 CALIPERS, PADS, AND HARDWARE, with the 2012 GT500 ROTOR

GT500_BREMBO_VS_S550_CALIPER-1024x582.jpg
GT500_BREMBO_CALIPER_PISTON_SIZE-1024x682.jpg
S550_CALIPER_PISTON_SIZE-1024x682.jpg

Here's the section we had to modify:

S500_CALIPER-1024x683.jpg

EEB04725-606C-49D2-BCE4-A9C73238F057_zps4tb6tlef.jpg

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Disclaimer - Must run 18" wheels.

The offsets have to be specific as well.

Yup. Currently running with the 18x9.5 Cobra R reps that came on the car, we'll be running some 18x10s pretty soon. This particular car is going to be running flares so offset isn't a major issue, but depending on your application you'd need to be careful

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Every time I see something new from y'all I want to throw you money.... But I cant because its impossible to get Rovos Durbans in 18's with the proper offset.

I understand that you have to space the rotor out to accommodate the calipers... But why cant you make brackets that space the caliper further back. It is effectively the same thing.... and we wont have to have specific offset wheels..

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Every time I see something new from y'all I want to throw you money.... But I cant because its impossible to get Rovos Durbans in 18's with the proper offset.

I understand that you have to space the rotor out to accommodate the calipers... But why cant you make brackets that space the caliper further back. It is effectively the same thing.... and we wont have to have specific offset wheels..

I'm working with Colin at Dashengst (a close friend of mine) to test a bunch of wheels with our brake kit. Dashengst carries a bunch of mustang wheels like Forgestar and Rovos so he as a bunch of wheels on hand to test fitment. We'll be collaborating on a extensive list of wheels which are verified to be compatible with the kit.

Any update on the S550 specific caliper bracket?

No "official" update I've but a few hundred miles unofficial/modified caliper with the washer I use in this post, it's proven to be very reliable.

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there [MENTION=17526]Pete@FTR[/MENTION] I have Ford Racing FR500s so they're 18 x 9 with 24mm offset, would greatly appreciate knowing if they'll fit fine!

Ballistic

Reaction score
Thats not too bad of a price, I think if i was to do it id get them powder coated gloss black though. But then again for what couple hundo more you can get a bear kit?

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Thats not too bad of a price, I think if i was to do it id get them powder coated gloss black though. But then again for what couple hundo more you can get a bear kit?

I'd like to get my calipers powder coated too... all in good time. This kit can be done for about $1000, the Baer 4P 13" kit is about $1500 iirc which includes drilled rotors and radial mount calipers. I haven't compared the performance between the S550 14" and the Baer 13" but some assumptions can be made.. The Baer 6P 14" kit is about $3400 which I'm sure will provide better performance but at over 3x the cost. I'd really like to do benchmark testing so we can get a good benchmark of "bang for the buck", which is really what we're going for with this kit.

Off topic, what wheels are running? Looks killer, your car reminds me of CNC top notch
01-cnc-top-notch-mustang-sema-1.jpg

Ballistic

Reaction score
I'd like to get my calipers powder coated too... all in good time. This kit can be done for about $1000, the Baer 4P 13" kit is about $1500 iirc which includes drilled rotors and radial mount calipers. I haven't compared the performance between the S550 14" and the Baer 13" but some assumptions can be made.. The Baer 6P 14" kit is about $3400 which I'm sure will provide better performance but at over 3x the cost. I'd really like to do benchmark testing so we can get a good benchmark of "bang for the buck", which is really what we're going for with this kit.

Off topic, what wheels are running? Looks killer, your car reminds me of CNC top notch
01-cnc-top-notch-mustang-sema-1.jpg

For this are you referring to a kit for front and back or just the front?

Damn those wheels look sexy on that fox! are they HRE? I have XXR 521's. Really wanted some CCW or HRE with the flat black inside and gloss black lip but they are not really in the budget right now.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a set of the 15 gt calipers. How has the testing come along with this and where do you guys stand as far as the kits now?

Also, any chance y'all found out if the 18" fr500's fit??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There happens to be a stack of FR500 18's next to my car that's on a lift as we speak. I'll have that answer for you tomorrow.

You have the 15 brakes on that car??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online