Sad day at Thunderhill

ba#97

Reaction score
well all, I feel I sadly have to share the bad news. I finally got home from my deployment just in time to take my car out to the track yesterday. Well, the signs were telling me from the night prior and the morning of that I should probably just stay home. but I did not listen...I had the itch...I needed to get my baby out to the track and relieve some stress after a long deployment! so here is my story....Thursday night, start the car, load it on the trailer. shut it off. all is fine. go to turn it on to accessory and the key wont turn. but the plastic collar on the ignition lock spins freely. No go on starting the car. won't even go to accessory or unlock the steering wheel. have to line up the collar perfectly with the key to get it out. great. alright well...car's loaded up...so...I'm just gonna take it to the track in the morning and see if I can't get it fixed in the morning prior.

alright...morning time. get in the truck and head out. have to stop to fill the truck with gas. one last ditch effort to start the cobra on the trailer....(I have a spare ignition key...lets try it). slide her and and bam. starts right up! look at the other key...my primary...and it's twisted like a damn bread package tie. I have no clue how in the process of me starting the car, loading it on the trailer and shutting it off that it did that. hulk strength son!

anyways. so...I'm pumped...time to get on the road. 5 minutes down the road, left rear trailer tire explodes. no spare. awesome. well lets jack this bad boy up, get it off of there and get it replaced. ha! funny. jack breaks. ok....call roadside assistance. while I'm waiting...trucks hazards have been on for awhile, truck is dead. woo. roadside assistance shows up...quick take the wheel off, limp the trailer to les schwab...they help me out, did an awesome job and made it quick and finally....on the road.

I should have just turned around and went home. but nope. alright so I get to the track finally right as my first run group is winding down. no big dealm have about 2 more hours of track time later anyways. unload the car and get it all ready to go. finally get out on the track. I was first in line and headed out. started off easy to get my sea legs again, and slowly but surely picked up speed...this time I wanted to see how well I could do out there and I was doing just great. car was handling awesome, wish I had my go pro or my lap timer so I could have seen my progress from before I left. but sadly, this is where my luck runs out.

coming off of turn 15 onto the front straightaway (right hander...full throttle, rumble strip on the outside with dirt right off of the strip and on your right is the pit wall) pit entrance right next to exit of 15 consists of concrete jersey barriers and a tire wall. as I was coming off of 15, car pushed slightly wide and dipped the left side tires in the dirt over the rumble strip. sadly I feel like I didn't have any chance to even let it drive straight into the dirt, it just turned me dead right as I still had some wheel in it anyways as I was slowly letting out of the steering at that time anyways. but I had nowhere to go. at this point I'm dead right aiming at the wall doing going too fast to miss it. lock it down and brace for impact. I hit head on, right front take brunt of the impact and thats it. air bags went off but I didn't feel it due to my helmet and harnesses. here is the aftermath.

Needless to say, I am ok. just a little dinged up. wrist is a little tweaked from hands on the wheel and hitting the wall. I think my ego and pride are more bruised then my body. everything did it's job just fine. the cage, harnesses and helmet saved my life or at least saved me from serious injury. that and the tire barriers. so, just my advice to all those up and coming racers out there, safety equipment is important. you get what you pay for. don't skimp on it. especially if you intend to take your car to the track. whether that be autox, drag racing or the road course. it works...and the biggest thing is...the car is replaceable, we aren't. so now...on to my next project. I'm in the process of trying to decide whether I want to pull the usable stuff off this and find a cheap donor 94-95 gt and build a new one, going in a even more race oriented route this time, or if I want to buy an already built racecar. I have some leads already...so I will keep you guys updated on my next endeavors. the bug is still there...I won't let one accident stop me from doing what I love!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
DAYAM!!!! I was reading it and wondering if it would be worse then the one I just had and yea you beat me. sorry for the loss happy to hear you are ok. Don't look at it as a bad thing my wreck turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I now have the time/ability to work on it when I am not feeling bad its keeping me occupied which I needed. Build it/next one bigger and badder with all the stuff you didn't have last time but wanted.

RichV

Reaction score
Ouch, that's a hard hit. Good thing you are OK, but it shakes you up none the less.

Salvage what you can an get another SN tub. Did something fail?

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Jeez man you must have been making damn good time around that corner (don't really know the track, just a generalized statement) because you hit that wall HARD. The engine bay almost looks like an F body now... I'd have to guess that with the exception of most of the drivetrain everything else would be usable still?

Glad to see your okay tho man, that shit sucks, but at least it didn't kill your spirit! And let that be a lesson to anyone having those second thoughts about going... Just stay home lol. I hate those gut feelings man.. Can't wait to see your next project tho!

OP
OP
B

ba#97

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yeah it was a tough hit. I threw the jersey barriers about 20 feet into the pits. Luckily I didn't get hit by someone behind me.

Rich....nope nothing broke. The dirt right off the rumble strip just threw me dead right into the only wall on the track. This is literally the only place you can wreck at this track and I found it. I feel like the need to add some asphault passed that rumble strip to make sure it doesn't happen because they said it does all the time. But yeah, basically I just had a tiny bit of wheel into it still slightly turning to the right and it just sent me off. And that's all there is to it. Lol.

But yep, I'm looking into finding a donor right now. I have a buddy that did the cage that has a spec e30 for sale, and there are a couple spec miatas for sale too in the area, leaning towards spec e30 or salvaging what I can off this car and building a new stang. Not sure yet! But its gonna happen soon. I'll be back to it and keep you all updated!

GT Rob

Reaction score
Dam talking about releasing some stress. Glad to hear your ok. Thank you for your service

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, i'm so sorry to hear that. Your car was one of my favorite track cars on this site.
I know what you have in store for us next will be even more awesome.

I'm glad you okay.

MadStang

Reaction score
sorry to see bud. that turn has killed many a car since there's very little room for error on the inside. Glad your alright, also, I'm sure you know now, but ALWAYS let go of the steering wheel when you know you're about to wreck, you could literally break your wrists holding onto the wheel if the impact is bad enough!

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
^That's good info man. Noob question here but what do you grab onto to brace for the impact?

BTW dude I just love your car Mad.. Just screams "NO ****S GIVEN!"

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
im sorry to see that, man. Thank God you're okay!! We're here to help in any way we can.

Nightmare

Reaction score
I am sorry that this happened man, especially after your service to this country....You will be back in the saddle though I am sure!

OP
OP
B

ba#97

Reaction score
^That's good info man. Noob question here but what do you grab onto to brace for the impact?

From what I have seen, the best route is to just cross your arms over your chest. Sadly for me, in the moment I went with instinct instead of common sense and with the speed of it all it just happened. But I'm good. Lucked out on that one. Lessons learned. As for the next project....I feel like it will have more potential...now to decide on a stang again or something else. Lol. Either way I will keep everyone up to date! Don't worry, I'm leaning towards another sn to swap it all onto. Lol.

MadStang

Reaction score

personally I was taught to just take the hands off the wheel at the very last instant. in a street car you have to think about air bag deployment and making sure the air bag doesn't pin your arm back in an awkward position. if there's time I'd cross my arms and grab my seat belt or harness. but just taking the hands off the steering wheel is suffice in racing, the wheel WILL snap in the direction of the load so if you have the wheels angled it's going send the g-forces of the accident through the wheel.

thanks bud!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online