SCCA Class!!

Rogera13

Reaction score
New to the forum and new to autox. Been reading through the forum and very excited 1, to have a autox section and 2, see other like minded people. My son and I just purchased and started running our 96 GT with our local SCCA Solo2 group. I did a lot of research and the car classifications and restrictions were confusing until I discovered a new class they just came out with. CAM (Classic American Muscle). Very few restrictions! To me this seems the perfect class for us. We plan on driving, drivng, driving and have already started planning our improvements. Our goal is a great weekend driver car show ride with a mean streak on track days! Check out the rules for it here http://www.solomatters.com/introducing-classic-american-muscle-cam

Evilgt

Reaction score
That sounds like fun.

Hmm maybe I should run a few in the open track car to hone the skills.

kyle

RichV

Reaction score
Open classes are a double edge sword. It's cool you can do all those mods, however the 1st guy with a built to the rules car or something sponsored will demolish any grassroots efforts.

Awesome you guys found a nitche. Do a build thread! Interested to see what you're doing with it.

ba#97

Reaction score
what you guys can do is just run whatever class your car fits in but just tell them at registration that you're running for fun runs. my experience with SCCA is they will have you put the class on the car as well as fun. as in..... ESP FUN. CP FUN. CAM FUN. that way you know what time you'll be running, you can compare your times with the other guys but they won't count you towards points or anything etc etc.

OP
OP
R

Rogera13

Reaction score
The CAM class here in central florida is just gaining in popularity. As with any of these type events money being thrown at the car can give an advantage. But with Solo (autocross) your just running for trophies and EOY points trophy so the big money tends to go with club racing. Driving is everything in solo. I had a good showing yesterday in the novice class being bested by a turbo S2000. One more event and I'm done with novice and will run CAM. The CAM cars that ran I would have been right in line. I watched a guy run his Lime green Viper in a modified class and I was better than him by nearly 2 seconds. That's a lot of money on track to be bested by 96 GT with little paint and an ugly tan interior. LOL. I will be starting a build thread soon. My son and I have decided to take great advice and first work on the large nuts between the steering wheel and front seat! After improving that some the next is suspension. The car already has a CAI, flowmaster cat back and Steeda short throw. Need better handling before adding more power.

ba#97

Reaction score
The CAM class here in central florida is just gaining in popularity. As with any of these type events money being thrown at the car can give an advantage. But with Solo (autocross) your just running for trophies and EOY points trophy so the big money tends to go with club racing. Driving is everything in solo. I had a good showing yesterday in the novice class being bested by a turbo S2000. One more event and I'm done with novice and will run CAM. The CAM cars that ran I would have been right in line. I watched a guy run his Lime green Viper in a modified class and I was better than him by nearly 2 seconds. That's a lot of money on track to be bested by 96 GT with little paint and an ugly tan interior. LOL. I will be starting a build thread soon. My son and I have decided to take great advice and first work on the large nuts between the steering wheel and front seat! After improving that some the next is suspension. The car already has a CAI, flowmaster cat back and Steeda short throw. Need better handling before adding more power.

as richv can attest, club racing is just going for the trophy and end of year points too. ultimately the amount of competition you have in solo and the quality of the cars all depends on the region. I know out here in cali that both in the norcal and socal side of things, everyone that is serious about autox...is running the full tilt of their allowances within the rule book and has a badass driver to boot. nothing against you but it sounds to me like your region just doesn't have a huge showing of competitive cars for that class. which is no surprise with how new the class is and the fact that it's pretty much an unlimited class from what I read. and the driver in the viper is obviously not very good. lol. i'm just giving you a heads up that you need to make sure that if you get serious into autox that you don't want to get overly attached to this CAM class as you may realize that once you start seeing guys with cars that actually are built to the hilt of that rule book....its game over for you. my example is from the falken tire videos of a CAM Shelby Cobra producing 800+hp. just fyi. that all being said, you have the right plan when it comes to getting experience....definitely keep getting better as a driver first and figure out what you need for the car and what class you truly want from there.

OP
OP
R

Rogera13

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfW-aF3SGyw

car has been driven up in norcal as well by Mike Maier and if you don't know that name....just know that he has quite a few national championships under his belt. so just getting my point across as to what a true CAM built setup could be. ha.

That is truly an impressive car. If I were to loose to that car I would never hang my head. But that car would not run CAM in the SCCA. The car has to be over 3000#s. My son and I plan on spending for the car. Over the next year a lot actually. My point about the class and modifications was simply that the CAM class will match you against other cars with similar characteristics. In the other classes most minor of suspension changes put you in a class against that car (cobra) or a S2000 or MX5.

OP
OP
R

Rogera13

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, where in Central Florida are you??

Thanks! My son and I are over in Titusville. In good Mustang groups or meets in Orlando? I'm about to start my build thread. Planning on having the car show worthy (park on the back row) by January.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! My son and I are over in Titusville. In good Mustang groups or meets in Orlando? I'm about to start my build thread. Planning on having the car show worthy (park on the back row) by January.

If you're on Facebook, probably the largest accepts anybody club is the Untouchables.

Then there's the Mustang Horde, a smaller group that wants to go out and cruise/race regularly.

Then there's the Mid Florida Mustang Club. An older crowd, more into shows and such.

I am a member of all 3, all have their ups and downs lol :)

ba#97

Reaction score
That is truly an impressive car. If I were to loose to that car I would never hang my head. But that car would not run CAM in the SCCA. The car has to be over 3000#s. My son and I plan on spending for the car. Over the next year a lot actually. My point about the class and modifications was simply that the CAM class will match you against other cars with similar characteristics. In the other classes most minor of suspension changes put you in a class against that car (cobra) or a S2000 or MX5.
You're incorrect. That car can run in cam in the scca and does. The rule you're referring to is the split in two classes of cam. There is cam 'sport' where the cobra fits and then cam 'traditional' where muscle cars fit. And the rules are very very open. The man that won the solo championship in cam traditional this year was running a twin turbo 427 ls powered camaro. So I'm just saying that this class is more aimed towards cars that are ridiculously prepared. Theres plenty of other classes that would be a more reasonable fit and much much easier to strive for.

edit-I will correct myself though. there are 3 classes in CAM. the last of which is designed for late model muscle cars. the rules seem to be the same for all of the classes though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online