Scorn cams

mickey

Reaction score
So I'm doing my pi swap on my 98 and as I pull the driver side cam out, to find the cam very scorn on 3 of the journals. So I went back and double checked the passenger side to find light scoring on 1 journal. Now this is an indicator of low oil pressure is there something common on these engines that can cause low oil preasure? When I drained the coolant it looked like it had oil contamination and the oil looked like chcolate milk. Now I didn't see any signs of a blown head gasket witch brings me to my next question is there a common point where oil and coolant could get mixed besides a blow head gasket?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Blown head gasket is the culprip. The cam journals and cam surface can take some abuse and work perfectly fine for long life, but this all depends on the severity of damage. Can you get a pic?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
You could run it but cam journals are some of the tightest clearances in the motor. I personally wouldn't run those.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Definitly oil starvation! Source new cams, don't polish those, toss them! The heads can still be used as is as long the bearing surfaces aren't to far gone. You can have them line bored if it makes you more comfortable, but that adds to the cost. If it were me on a budget, I'd scope the cam bores out really well reducing raised material and run with them. OR just ebay a good set of heads for $400 and get 8thread plug heads

OP
OP
M

mickey

Reaction score
These are my npi heads and cams my pi heads and cams are at the machine shop I'm afraid of trashing the new heads and cams I was thinking about replaceing the oil pump just to be safe.

talltim

Reaction score
The cam journals are aluminum. Aluminum doesnt make scores on an iron camshaft. If there anyway some hard metal could have gotten in there?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
OK def thought that was the new set.

Was thier metal shaving anywhere? I bet rod bearings are going ..... oil starvation

I say Unbolt the motor jack it up lower the pan and pull the pump. Look for any scoring on it .... save for a short block.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Definitely drop the pan and check your oil pickup tube. I would be willing to bet it is clogged. Mine was completely clogged up and my heads didnt look as bad as yours, and i had 4 spun bearing and all my mains were trash along with the crank. Good luck brother.

OP
OP
M

mickey

Reaction score
So now that the engine is coming out, guess it's getting a mild rebuild or a budget upgrade, correct me if I'm wrong a stock crank is good for 600hp if so keep the stock crank if it is salvageable combined with some boss rods. Now for some help who makes a good budget piston?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
So now that the engine is coming out, guess it's getting a mild rebuild or a budget upgrade, correct me if I'm wrong a stock crank is good for 600hp if so keep the stock crank if it is salvageable combined with some boss rods. Now for some help who makes a good budget piston?
Probe. DSS

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online