Scott Rod rear seat delete info.

shovel

Reaction score
I just wanted to share this for others since I did not see very many good photos of them before I bought mine. My photos aren't "good" really either, but they're a lot more than I could find elsewhere.

So first things first, four rivnuts are the ONLY permanent modifications to the car and as such this is 99.9% reversible if I or anyone else after I die wants to put a seat back in the car.

UGTszClBE7DVzL337pAzr06nw=w724-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg
Two at the top, two at the bottom of the vertical "seat back" panel.

FyIhNRH5-Q-2gKNQFE58696ow=w724-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg

The Scott Rod delete ships in four panels which must be riveted together. I riveted the vertical and horizonal parts into a single piece each, but then used threaded rivnuts to tie them together which makes it more easily removable if I ever need to service something under them.

pNLSuo4REX0aZX8snI0js3qg=w2288-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg

I used a cabinetry spacing tool to ensure the fasteners would be evenly spaced.
Below is test fitting the vertical panel
-zBbWz3Q8NTyQZ0JbEp7c7Kg=w2288-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg

OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
Test fitting the horizontal panel

Y-228Rte-Mgppe5Vv8rllnvQ=w2288-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg

This is how the rear panel looks without the protective plastic covering

sUdIe3DZ_wGimxaSQRPp4-3g=w2288-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg
Here it is ~95% finished.
SL77VJolj3O9wupUuBk8o5hA=w1710-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg

lo92IBbRm47B-tGfM0UOaXApw=w724-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg
I had a poster printed to a sheet of aluminum and mounted that to the vertical, and decided I will stickerbomb the seat bottom over time.
This may not be everyone's taste.
To be clear this car is a driver not a show car and has very high miles. I bought it cheap in neglected condition so if I wasn't here ruining it, it would probably have been parted out by the previous owner.

83-XQghl4wtN5n_5NMdbMjMg=w2288-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
Also I would like to add that the seat bottom as shipped is not designed to bear any weight, beyond maybe a single grocery bag or a purse or something.
I cut out a panel of birch plywood in an appropriate size and painted it with urethane, then bonded it to the bottom of the panel. It has a cut-out that conveniently provides space for the wiring harness on the driver side. I then used lightweight high temperature insulation foam which I sanded on a belt sander to match the contour of the seat wells. This supports the seat bottom and weighs close to nothing, I tested by sitting very roughly and carelessly on it with my full weight, so I'll feel good tossing suitcases or groceries back there.
The stickers on the seat bottom are specifically because I know I'm going to scratch it up by using it as a parcel shelf, so rather than look at scratched black anodized coating I can look at worn-in memories as I sticker it up.

OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
As offered by Scott Rod it's a builder part, i.e. they leave it up to the installer to make it work for their particular application without much instruction.

There is a small ~20mm shelf at the base of the vertical panel ("back") which may be riveted to the horizontal panel ("bottom") at that point.

I opted to install a row of rivnuts instead of rivets, to make it removable in case I want to service or access anything below the bottom panel.

The front edge of that panel just rests on the same midbeam that the seat cushion used. No fasteners are needed there, I could install more rivnuts to further secure it but it's quite solid without them and does not seem motivated to move or rattle in any case.

In summary the bottom panel is affixed only to the back panel, which itself is affixed to the vehicle with four rivnuts.

Reaction score
That's a nice looking kit. And I like the poster you put on. I like when people do something unique for their own amusement rather than trying to abide some mandatory style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online