Screw it, I am going with a crate motor...

Sklander

Reaction score
I want a 331 crate motor for my 1995 Mustang. Who would you suggest? This motor is going to be supercharged. Do they sell supercharged crate motors?

I am looking for a completely built 331 Crate motor. I am looking all over the net but can't find shit. Any help?

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure DSS Racing does a complete 331 crate. I thin Coast High Performance and Keith Craft do them, too.

I have a DSS short block, and its a nice piece. You might call the guys at DSS and ask them what they can do.

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
same here customer service is great there any qeustions they will anweser it...... also is that whole level 10 level 20 stuff just bullshit or is it somethign to look into ?

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
SvtBlack95 said:
same here customer service is great there any qeustions they will anweser it...... also is that whole level 10 level 20 stuff just bullshit or is it somethign to look into ?

I'm not sure the level 10 or 20 is complete bullshit. Mine is a level 20 and has screw in oil galley plugs, screw in freeze plugs, and some additional machining. DSS says it helps the block hold more hp . . not too sure about that . . but more machining is better and its likely that they spend more time building the block. Absolutely get the girdle . . its worth having.

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
oo when i do my build trust me it will have the main support in there no chance's takin

ryclef331

Reaction score
I had my block built locally. If you find a reputable mail order builder, go for it. I will say however, stay the HELL away from D&D Motorsports...I bought my stroker kit from them. Then called them again for my AFR 185 heads....NINE...FUCKING NINE weeks later i get them. I got to put them on, and one valve is completely different from the rest. WE dig into them and they have manley valves throughout....AFR doesn't use manley valves AT ALL! The seat pressure on the springs was low...we find that the shim weren't even the right size and were beat into a "funnel" shape and almost trashed the seats of my new heads. To top it all off...their "custom" ground camshaft was nothing but an OFF THE SHELF Erson Cam for a Carb'd Victor Style (head and intake) 302....NOT the EFI NITROUS Motor I told them it was....Thats the short and skinny of it. I'll never buy ANYTHING from them ever again.

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
SvtBlack95 said:
oo when i do my build trust me it will have the main support in there no chance's takin

Well . . . if you REALLY don't wanna take chances, spend the extra money and get a Dart block. DSS offers short blocks using Darts. If I had it to do iver again, I would do a Dart or a World block.

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
I agree. A stock block is still a stock block, no matter what you do to it. Mine seems to be holding together, but I'm always worried about it. Again, I wish I had done a Dart.

I've seen a few stock blocks come apart at the mains . . but most split in the lifter valley. It's always nice to save the rotating assembly, though. I have a real nice 4340 rotating assembly left over from my 306. It'll come in handy at some point.

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
I got an email back from DSS with a quote for a crate motor with all the stops. $9800!

I am going to re-think some options and see if he can do it for a little cheaper than that.

Can you put a 2003 - 2004 Cobra motor into an SN95?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sklander said:
I got an email back from DSS with a quote for a crate motor with all the stops. $9800!

I am going to re-think some options and see if he can do it for a little cheaper than that.

sure you can, but that would probally cost as much if not more than getting a crate pushrod motor. You would have to have the complete motor then the wiring harness and cup.........that could get costly :eek:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Jperran said:
Sklander said:

Well what does "all the stops" include?

never heard that phrase either :dunno:

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
Yeah, after a little research it looks like the 03-04 Cobra motor would be a nightmare to wire. I can get a used motor from a friend with the tranny attached for around 5000. He just did something to his car and its auto transmission and turbocharged now, so he said if I want the motor he'd make me a hell of a deal.

Why is the wiring such a nightmare?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sklander said:
Yeah, after a little research it looks like the 03-04 Cobra motor would be a nightmare to wire. I can get a used motor from a friend with the tranny attached for around 5000. He just did something to his car and its auto transmission and turbocharged now, so he said if I want the motor he'd make me a hell of a deal.

Why is the wiring such a nightmare?

High tech fuel inject :D

ryclef331

Reaction score
it wouldn't be THAT bad if you got the ECU and the entire harness.

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
Nah. My neighbor said he'd help me in any way I needed. He knows his shit about stangs.

I have decided to do the AFR 165's matched up with a custom cam from FTI. All I need now is the short-block. DART is overkill. What do y'all think about shortblocks? I am trying to support up to 700HP to be safe.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
A dart block is not overkill if you are wanting to be able to have anywhere near 700hp. A stock block is lucky to get up to 500 without breaking the block. If you go with a 700hp stock shortblock you will still have to spend the money for a dart eventually because you will crack the stock block.

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
There aren't other aftermarket blocks out there that can handle the extra horsepower? Surely there must be...

Spyder

Reaction score
you have some choices but the are very limited. Here are you choices

Dart - already mentioned
Frpp R302 - about the same price and stregnth wise as the dart
Man-o-War - Supposedly a strong block, havent heard much about it
Frpp A4 - Discontinued, but they can still be found for a decent price and hold plenty of power

I would say if you plan on going past the 500 hp mark, or even being near it for too long, make a wise investment in one of the bloacks stated above.

Or you can push your luck, maybe get by for a while, then eventually end up shoveling the stock bloack off of the pavement when in gives up on you.

jpajkos

Reaction score
If your friend still has that 03-04 cobra motor w/ tranny for 5k tell him to PM me I will send him a check tomorrow. Also please find out the specs on the motor such as mileage etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online