SCT Tuner and ECM issue

SN95_Superman

Reaction score
Hey everyone and thanks for the add. I have a 97 GT 4.6, I recently bought a 9600 SCT tuner second hand that was returned to stock and unmarried. I was able to load a pretune to my car and i found a difference in driving. I tried to update my tuner by going to the sct website and downloading the app to update the tuner. The app didn't have the proper drivers to update my sct tuner, so i just put in back in the car. Instead of re-tuning it with preloaded tune, I tried something different and tried to load a custom tune. When the upload failed, I realised it was a custom tune that was for the previous owners car. Now the sct tuner gives me 2 different error codes; 1018 and 1024. Now I can't start the car because the failed upload must have messed up my ecm. Aside from going to Ford and having them try to reflash the ecm, is there any other way of reflashing it or do I have to get a new ecm? I did try to connect a wire from the positive battery terminal to a disconnected negative, but it did nothing. I also ordered a used ecm for a 97 GT 4.6 and also wondering if I have to get it reflashed or if its simple plug and play?

Last edited:

07GtS197

Reaction score
What vehicle was the tune on it for?

Also your question doesnt quite make sense, if you changed the ecu the new one would (presumably) have a stock tune on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SN95_Superman

SN95_Superman

Reaction score
The custom tune that was for an 03 GT 5.0 with a cam and other engine upgrades. So the tuner I think has automatically married back to the 03 and won't allow me to go back to stock settings for my 97.

OP
OP
SN95_Superman

SN95_Superman

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about the tuner right now, I just want my car running again and wondering if I have to have the ecm reflashed or if I can replace it with a used ecm without having to have it reflashed. From some of the research I have done, 96-97 do not need to have the ecm reflashed, 99-04 you have to reflash because of the PATS and the key chip. I am just trying to confirm if I would need to have a dealership reflash the used ecm or reflash the orginal ecm I have. Also wondering if I have to bring the dealer the whole car or if I can just bring in my ecm with my VIN to have it flashed....anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online