Sct tuner question.

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by Englishbully, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Englishbully

Englishbully New Member

I am looking at a lot of used sct3 tuners on eBay.i know they have to be unlocked and unmarried.unless I wanna send and pay to have it unlocked .but all I want to do is to change my fan settings.i am not trying to get a custom tune or anything .just change the cooling fans to come on earlier.will I have that option if I buy a locked tuner or does it have to be unlocked and unmarried to do that?thanks

2. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

I take your trying to get this done cheap as possible?

3. Englishbully

Englishbully New Member

ya.actually if I wanted to I could put a manual or thermostatic control switch which I almost did .but I can't rely on my wife to turn the switch on when she is driving the car by herself.and the thermostat controlled switch I have heard good and bad things .i feel that the high speed fan comes on to high of a temp for my liking .it would be nice to have the car run under 200 degrees when the a\c is on.

4. 07GtS197

07GtS197 Well-Known Member

Yes it has to be unmarried to make changes to your car.

5. Nighttrain

Nighttrain Well-Known Member

You can find them unmarried, then get some tunes emailed to you. Check amazon and ebay. Should still be able to find one on the cheap.

6. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Diablo sport i1000 tuners also work. These thing are priced cheap with good support. Down fall is they are not the Ford choice tuner by the masses. SCT has the Ford foothold.

7. Nighttrain

They make a good product too. Sct seems to be getting a strong foothold in all american models.

8. Englishbully

Englishbully New Member

well I bought an sct x3.I will have it in a few days. I know I can change fan setting with the tuner .but do I have to run a tune to be able to change fan setting? Or can I just change fan setting without installing any tune?

9. Nighttrain

Shouldnt have to, i believe itll ask you to pick and you can keep it on 87 octane tune. Honestly though downloading a tune on a factory car isnt a bad thing, and the diffence in fuel prices between 87 and 93 is very minimal. Unless you have a dyno tune already, thats a whole different ball game and i understand not wanting to reflash.

10. 96Mystic1189

96Mystic1189 Member

Just experienced this, yes you have to upload a tune. Even the 87 tune is different. You just modify the fan temps within the tune.