SCT XCal 2

98-GT

Reaction score
my car seems to run fine but threw out this code (Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1) a few weeks ago. I cleared it out and after i drove a few times its came back up, only this time from a different bank. I had the PI swap done in the begining of september and have only been driving the car on weekends. when I ordered the SCT i had it tuned from mustangtuning (americanmuscle.com now) for my pi set up. Do you think i need a new tune, or are the o2 sensors just bad? Thanks

SnakedMark8

Reaction score
That all depends, what is the actual code? How old are the sensors? What sometimes happens with old sensors is once the EEC is reset by flashing in a new program it causes failing sensors to start throwing CELs. How this works is that over time the sensors begin to ware out and start failing. The EEC has what is called adaptive memory. So as the sensor is failing the EEC is constantly adjusting the signals to compensate for the weakening of sensors. Then, once you flash in a new program or clear the memory by disconnecting the battery the EEC is reset to stock. So it now is receiving the weak signals from the sensors and sees that they are out of the specific parameter set in the EEC for stock and throws the CELs. In this case you will need to replace the front sensors. Fords don't like the Bosh sensors by the way. You should replace them with the factory units or NGKs.

Another thought is that the programming isn't correct. If you changed your MAF or went to a CAI and didn't tell AM then you could actually be running lean. A dirty MAF will also cause you to go lean. You clean them with MAF cleaner or a spray can of electronics cleaner. Do not touch the wires inside of the MAF, this is the actual sensor. You only spray the cleaner across the sensor and let it dry.

And the last cause could be that the programming is just wrong. AM doesn't have a very good rep with the rest of us custom tuners. I've had to fix up several of their customers with correct programs. They are what we call Internet Wholesalers, they sell in mass for cheap, with poor customer service after the sale.

voidfinger

Reaction score
why don't the fords like bosch sensors? whats wrong with them?

SnakedMark8

Reaction score
You can pretty much ask anyone that has dealt with Fords for awhile. The Bosh sensors within months just start failing when installed in Fords. I've had several experiences of my own with customer's vehicles throwing CELs and running bad with stock and custom programming. When I check the vehicles out it seems they all went for the cheaper Bosh sensors and as soon as I replaced them with the Motorcraft the problems clear right up.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Bosch sensors crap the bed waay too fast for some reason. Ford o2's only.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online

No members online now.