RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score

I am thinking this is what is in your transmission
i am checking into it a little more

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
it could very well be a transmission for a pick up truck , van, suv , on the ford side
Lincoln blackwood , or navigator
most will bolt up to a 4.6

OP
OP
C

Cathy9888

Reaction score
Did some more research and think the prior owner swapped the 97 tranny with a 99 T45 using electric speed sensor. That is my best guess since things are not adding up like a 97. Going to install a new 99 electric sensor and see what happens. If the speedometer works, hopefully the variance isn't bad.

Found the TREMEC stamp plus what looks like 6AE 383 on the tranny. Maybe those match the vin of the car it came from.? I could not find the tranny id tag so it must have been removed.

Between 1996 and 1998, T-45 transmissions from Mustang GTs used a seven-tooth speedometer gear, though Cobras used an eight tooth speedometer gear. In 1999, both the Cobra and GT T45 were moved over to an electronic sensor speedometer.

Attachments

• Mustang build data.jpg
    Mustang build data.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Mustang 6AE 383 Stamp.jpg
    Mustang 6AE 383 Stamp.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Mustang TREMEC stamp.jpg
    Mustang TREMEC stamp.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Mustang Speed Sensor hole.jpg
    Mustang Speed Sensor hole.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Mustang Tranny bottom2.jpg
    Mustang Tranny bottom2.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Mustang tranny front1.jpg
    Mustang tranny front1.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Mustang tranny bottom1.jpg
    Mustang tranny bottom1.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 6

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
That is strange
so this is not an automatic
the first 4 numbers F60B- come up as Lincoln

NXcoupe

Reaction score
It is a 99 up T45 or 3650 transmission. More than likely the T45. That pick up will not provide the correct signal to your computer for the speedo to work. To utiize what you have and make it work, you'll need a speedcal. They make one that will plug into the 99 sensor and then your 97 harness plugs into it. The instructions will tell you how to set up the dip switches to make the speedo work for your wheel and tire size.

OP
OP
C

Cathy9888

Reaction score
OK friends... a year later, and the net update is, we finally managed to pass inspection & get it plated to drive. It still makes the weird sound in the rear during idle and changes when the breaks are pressed. I dunno what the heck that is, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything, and the husband doesn't seem concerned or bothered by it, so it is what it is. LOL.

My dilemma now... I'd really like to get him a new, updated/semi-fancy, **working** gauge cluster for Christmas (I'm a procrastinator, I know). Despite all the work he's done on it, the speed, tach, & odo still don't work. I'll see if I can nonchalantly ask him what he's done to it to try and get it to work, or if he just gave up because the transmission isn't what it's supposed to be & the signal to the computer isn't what it wants. He got a digital speedometer thing set up - I'm not certain how it's wired. I'm sure y'all do though. My big question is... would a brand new gauge cluster even fix any of these issues?? Or would it just be a purely cosmetic change? Does the signal to the computer only affect the speedometer, or does it also affect the tach and odo? Would a new cluster get the tach and odo to work, even if he kept the external speedometer hooked up (speedcal rings a bell.. not sure if that's what it is, or if I'm just throwing out words I've heard him say.. LOL).

If a new cluster won't fix anything... maybe I could just get new LED lights for the one he has. Make it at least look kinda updated.. ??

I'm trying to be a good wife and get him something fun and/or functional for his toy, but I'd really prefer to do it as a surprise, and I'm just not equipped to do that. I'm hoping you guys will have some suggestions for me. :)

If the gauge cluster is a total wash... I've seen LED lighted pony emblems for the grille, but I can't seem to find one for a '97. I'll keep digging though...

Thanks!!!

C ~

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
What year is the car again?

Most sensor inputs to these clusters are point-to-point, meaning there's a direct connection between gague (and diagnostic lights) and their sensors. There's very minimal computer involvement unlike today's cars where essentially the entire car is a full computer network all tied together and inter-connected with a sort of IP addressing scheme (not exactly, but essentially).

So it's extremely easy to hunt and solve problems in an SN95 (and there are not that many sensors to begin with). You can take the easy route and send your entire cluster off to accutach.com.

OP
OP
C

Cathy9888

Reaction score
What year is the car again?

Most sensor inputs to these clusters are point-to-point, meaning there's a direct connection between gague (and diagnostic lights) and their sensors. There's very minimal computer involvement unlike today's cars where essentially the entire car is a full computer network all tied together and inter-connected with a sort of IP addressing scheme (not exactly, but essentially).

So it's extremely easy to hunt and solve problems in an SN95 (and there are not that many sensors to begin with). You can take the easy route and send your entire cluster off to accutach.com.
So here's the issue... https://www.sn95forums.com/threads/seeking-input-97gt.78982/post-1511978

The transmission in the car isn't what SHOULD be in the car. It came that way, and unfortunately, the idiot who owned & worked on the car prior to us purchasing it died, so... we can't ask him WTF he did to it. I fear all of the little "surprises" we've come across has made this car more work than it's worth... but I don't know enough about all of it to really say that. I hope not. We really enjoy it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.