Serpentine issues

Rosqoe

Reaction score
After purchasing my 94gt a drove to and from work a couple days no problems I parked the car to check a small coolant leak it was coming one of the smaller hoses on my water pump I replaced the hoses tightened everything up and tried to add a can of freon to the ac after adding the freon my belt began to slip and smoke then popped I figured it was a bad compressor so I bought a belt to bypass the AC idler was squeaking so I replaced it also buttoned everything up started the car belt began to smoke after a minute I heard popping I shut the car off heard a few more pops then belt snapped noticed all pulleys very hot I checked all of them once they cooled down smog pump delete and tensioner pulley felt rough I got an 82.7" belt to also bypass the smog and replaced the tensioner pulley now the belt not smoking but when it it goes into the crank from the water pump it walks off 1 rib but lines back up on the tensioner only thing I can think is that the harmonic balancer is going bad?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
why am I out of breath after reading it and have no idea what I just read it sounds like the compressor so its strange that it did not fix it but it could be something else but I am not sure what that could be maybe see if the alt is dragging or the idler or some other pulley keeping it from working right or are you sure its the right belt or maybe just an old belt or maybe something else haha have you tried to pull any codes or look under it and see if anything is wrong or maybe it something else idunno haha................................................................

OP
OP
R

Rosqoe

Reaction score
Sorry for long rambling post, guess full back story wasn't needed. Basically my serp belt is trying to walk off the crank pulley 1 rib towards the block. The alternator, idler and tensioner pullies brand new.ive straight edged and all seem to line up

GregT94SCC

Reaction score
If your balancer is bad you will see it wobble with no belt installed. Run it beltless for a few seconds only (!) And see if it wobbles.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Rosqoe

Reaction score
Ok got home today cleaned all the grooves on the pulleys had it running there is a slight amount of front to back wobble in the balancer so I guess I'll replace that see if it fixes it lol

OP
OP
R

Rosqoe

Reaction score
Replaced the harmonic balancer the belt still rolls alittle on the crank but I figure I need a new belt

GTR

Reaction score
Stopped your video at 0:15. The belt is a full groove off on the smog pulley. Pulling back towards the block. It's also walking on the idler or just trying to line up at the alt. which is not seen in the clip. I'd check the smog pump alignment.

dcm0123

Reaction score
Put a straight edge on pulleys to find out which if any are out of line.

Had a similar problem with mine. When you rev'd the engine for some reason the torque to bring the pulleys up to speed momentarily caused the belt to walk off the tensioner pulley. Rev the engine and see if it walks as the speed is increasing. Once the speed stabilizes it centers itself again. If it walks off to far, it will walk off the other pulleys and tear up the belt.

I purchased a new idler pulley for the tensioner which had a stop on each side of the pulley to prevent it from running off. Worked good.
Was a machined aluminum pulley. Link below.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIqY6Q7PCS5AIVkp6fCh0RpgP9EAQYASABEgKyEfD_BwE

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online