Set engine back 1" or no?

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
While everything is outta the car I've been thinking about setting the engine back 1" when it goes back in. At this point all I can see that will have to be done is to change the spacers on my transmission crossmember to accommodate the extra inch of movement backwards. The exhaust already has to be reworked to fit the longtubes and I can't see any other issues with doing it.

How many of you have experience with doing this? Run into any clearance issues with the oil pan or steering shaft or anything like that? I know the top two bellhousing bolts will prolly wind up being a fothermucker to get to if I go thru with it.

I've read that setting the engine back really helps a lot with weight transfer and moving the weight of the engine farther away from the nose of the car of course as well as balancing the car out more. So it looks like there really aren't that many negative aspects of doing this. What do you guys think?

If you ain't up on thangs - - -
94 5.0 5 speed. A/C and smog deleted
MM K member and steering shaft.
Stifflers tubular trans crossmember
Stock oil pan
BBK Longtubes

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with you, I want to do it, but.. go rear the Maximum Motorsports install section and FAQ, sound to me more interference than people let on, but I have never done it so my opinion is a fart in the wind..

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be looking at setting my engine back but not for the weight placement. I'll be trying it for the clearance it helps provide with the hood and my tall deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I've done it on my car. Nothing interfered except for rack and pinion and front oil pan sump. I order to fix that issue, I've shifted the rack down on the bushing, which required to max out the bumpsteer stack on the spindle... And even maxed out the bumpsteer is still way out of whack. I am planning on bringing the engine back to it's original location, and setting the bumpsteer to correct range again, because there is more lap time lost on bumpsteer than the weight distribution difference.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I did it years back. All i did was slot the trans cross member.. I was using a upr k member..

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online