Setups for a drift mustang...

Schiffy

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of drifting... i think it's kinda cool to watch, but i wouldn't build a car for it. I'm more interested in driving really fast for only 1320 Feet

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
94yellowgt said:
You mean like this. Its not me but it just looks to me like just raw american horsepower and rear wheel drive and good driver.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/fbaded05-d47b-4fe0-8378-10edece95909.htm

you guys really consider that drifting? thats just power sliding and doughnuts to me

EDIT:
drifting a mustang is not hard at all, its just harder to do it in a 3300+lb car than it is to do it in a 2700lb car.

SRA vs IRS. SRA is not always an advantage. yes, the ae86 has the SRA, but then again look at how much it weighs.
the BIGGEST factor in drifting is weight transfer and weight balance. yes, the SRA is about 70-80lbs lighter than the IRS in a mustang, but the SRA is about 125lbs HEAVIER than the IRS in regards to unsprung weight, which is pretty much the amount of weight you throw back and forth. the IRS also helps to even out the weight balance (weight distribution) of the front-heavy mustang.

what do you need to drift a mustang tho? prefessionally drift? look at the falken mustang and thats pretty much what you need. a build motor, supercharged to get about 500-600rwhp, gutted, cagged, massive amounts of suspension work, brake upgrades, and lots and lots of tires.
to just drift it on an amature level (and on a budget)? at the very least get lowering springs, a clutch that is going to withstand the abuse of constant high rpm drops/high rpm shifting, and at the very minimum a front strut tower brace. and lots and lots of patience and tires. if you want some more power out of it, just get some basic bolt ons like exhaust and intake, and a throttle body (improves throttle response).

what was i drifting with? a 98gt with no rear sway bar, hawk brake pads w/slotted rotors, steeda front strut brace, 2" lowering springs, and the rest of my suspension was stock. i was drifting on my stock 17" chrome rims. power mods were: intake, t/b, plennum, pullies, clutch, al. flywheel, catted x pipes and magnaflow catback. that was it for mods, and i was (after about a year of once-a-month practice) drifting as good as most the other amature drifters out there. had a professional drifter drive my car and i was amazed at how good he got it to drift, way better than i had ever done.

earlier this year i swapped the SRA for IRS and while i havent drifted on a drift course since ive had it, i have messed around and i have tested it, and it feels a lot better than the SRA. the car is a lot more predictable and you are in control of the car, you are no longer reacting to the car's movements.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well yah its not really 'drifting' I agree but its getting there, dont often see stangs drifting and I thought that was a pretty sweet vid. Drifting I guess are the dudes in the nissans and toyotas consently sideways doing like 60mph.

I agree with you man, its all about the driver, I could drive a pro drift car and somebody that has good drifting skills could own me with my stang probaly lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online