She runs!! But a list of other things happened.

c3pbro

Reaction score
So after 6 loooooooooong years my stang started today for the first time. (actually the second but it was only for about 10 min) But now I have a list of problems that popped up.

Idle hangs sky high between shifts or anytime after applying the throttle. It hangs for 7-8 seconds then slowly creeps down, then drops to about 500 and the motor bogs and brings itself up and idles fine after that.

Grinding gears between shift. The clutch is brand new and the trans came out of a 98 that hit a tree in its back right half, but it doesn't do it every time, and it isn't every gear up and down. Sometimes it will be 1-2, or maybe the 4-5 and it happens on the 2-1 rolling at 3mph. Possibly part due to the idle hanging?

God awful whining noise from under, can't tell if its trans or rear. I'm not super worried about it at the moment, I had an 80 malibu for years that I crushed the pinion putting it back together and it whined something terrible and it took a supercharger to tear it apart.

Speedo is way off, almost 15 high.

Anyone have any advice?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So after 6 loooooooooong years my stang started today for the first time. (actually the second but it was only for about 10 min) But now I have a list of problems that popped up.

Idle hangs sky high between shifts or anytime after applying the throttle. It hangs for 7-8 seconds then slowly creeps down, then drops to about 500 and the motor bogs and brings itself up and idles fine after that.

Grinding gears between shift. The clutch is brand new and the trans came out of a 98 that hit a tree in its back right half, but it doesn't do it every time, and it isn't every gear up and down. Sometimes it will be 1-2, or maybe the 4-5 and it happens on the 2-1 rolling at 3mph or the. Possibly part due to the idle hanging?

God awful whining noise from under, can't tell if its trans or rear. I'm not super worried about it at the moment, I had an 80 malibu for years that I crushed the pinion putting it back together and it whined something terrible and it took a supercharger to tear it apart.

Speedo is way off, almost 15 high.

Anyone have any advice?

Well, you got a long list of things going on there. For starters, what year is it and what engine are you running? You idle issue could be as simple as a bad IAC valve. If you didn't put a new one on there when you put it together I would start there. The grinding issue sounds like it may be clutch related. You said the clutch was new, was it bought as a clutch/pressure plate kit? What about condition of the flywheel, and throwout bearing?

OP
OP
C

c3pbro

Reaction score
It's a 97 body with 98 internals, motor Trans and rear all out of a 98. Along with the ecm. The motor has the full pi swap, Cai and under drive pulleys on it. The clutch was a kit from american muscle, flywheel and throw out was good...or at least looked good. Gonna pull that iac after dinner, guess I'll give it a look.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
It's a 97 body with 98 internals, motor Trans and rear all out of a 98. Along with the ecm. The motor has the full pi swap, Cai and under drive pulleys on it. The clutch was a kit from american muscle, flywheel and throw out was good...or at least looked good. Gonna pull that iac after dinner, guess I'll give it a look.

How long was that IAC sitting without being used? It might just need to be replaced. That's where I would start with the idle. The whine, well, that could also be relevant to the grinding meaning the transmission is about to go out or it could be diff problems.

OP
OP
C

c3pbro

Reaction score
I'll checked it out.

If the trans goes I hope it spectacular!

OP
OP
C

c3pbro

Reaction score
So pulled the iac and cleaned it. Was really dirty and the idle after was OK but when I drove it the engine would hang high rpms between shifts again. When I got back it was right back to normal with a loping idle.

I plugged in my bama tuner and read dtc's, I got 3 back. P1000, p1232 and p0602.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Is it loping because you have a cam or is it doing it because something is wrong? A bad vacuum leak will make that happen, or a bad iac with the maf unplugged will do it too

Royal96

Reaction score
P1000 just has to do with the ECM's checks. They just havent finished since youve been driving. That code should go away after driving a bit.

p0602 suggests that the PCM isn't programmed or it is the wrong PCM. Are you using your 97 gauge cluster? And have you tuned it for the PI swap?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
And I'm not sure what the codes are, I haven't looked them up. Do you have a description of them?

87hurricane

Reaction score
P1000 is nothing, ignore it. P1232 is a fuel pump circuit code, if the car is running, it means the fuel pump is probably OK. P0602 means that your pcm isn't programmed properly, may have to do with swapping parts around, and could have something to do with the way it running too. I would address this code before chasing anything else. A ford dealership can reflash your pcm, not sure if you can do it with your tuner as well.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
With the mods he listed, if that is all that's done the car will run fine without a tune. Unless he is running the 98pcm and the 97 cluster. That could cause issues.

OP
OP
C

c3pbro

Reaction score
Yeah I don't get the pcm code. When I contacted Bama for the tunes I listed all my mods, and told them it was a 97 with 98 internals. The wiring harness was the same or so I thought....maybe I need to swap it?

OP
OP
C

c3pbro

Reaction score
Is it loping because you have a cam or is it doing it because something is wrong? A bad vacuum leak will make that happen, or a bad iac with the maf unplugged will do it too

I replaced the maf, I can't seem to find any leaks but that is a good possibility.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yeah I don't get the pcm code. When I contacted Bama for the tunes I listed all my mods, and told them it was a 97 with 98 internals. The wiring harness was the same or so I thought....maybe I need to swap it?

Which harness are you thinking about swapping? I know a lot of the harness plugs and pinouts changed in 98.

OP
OP
C

c3pbro

Reaction score
Which harness are you thinking about swapping? I know a lot of the harness plugs and pinouts changed in 98.

I was thinking of taking the 97 harness out and putting in a 98 harness. Should I?

OP
OP
C

c3pbro

Reaction score
That will be my weekend project. Took it for a cruise to the shop to adjust my headlights and it stalled when I rolled to a stop. Going to get a new tps while I'm out

Edit: swapped tps, car won't start

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online