Shifter install

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by Gustang, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Gustang

Gustang New Member

hey im getting a pro 5.o shifter for christmas, and i was just curious how difficult it was to install a shifter. also i have heard that if i dont do something right, i might screw up my synchro's.. is this true? let me know Thanks

2. Matt94GT

Matt94GT Legend Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

Its easy, you cant hurt your syncros or at least im pretty sure you cant. you just have to adjust the stops and it can be done with the car off. It was probaly the 1st mod I ever did my self and I found it pretty damn easy.

3. Greggerex

Greggerex Active Member

First mod I ever did myself as well.

It's not bad at all. Have fun.

4. Stangbangin

Stangbangin Active Member

let me give you step by step real quick.... unbolt old shifter... yank if off...put on new shifter tighten bolts your done

5. Suspect

Suspect Well-Known Member

dont forget to get some rtv. :santa_afro:

6. last_5_liter

last_5_liter Member

7. ryclef331

ryclef331 Well-Known Member

Give me a break. Thats some dude just trying to scam a buck. That isn't anything you can't make at home yourself.

5 YEARS. I've never used a gasket on any shifter....EVER. No leaks. If you don't like the noise that lets your KNOW you're in gear then you shouldn't have changed the shifter to begin with....

8. MeanGrn Gt

MeanGrn Gt Well-Known Member

What is wrong with using a gasket? The problem with rtv isnt leaks it is more to stop the noise and speed up time/less mess. You shouldnt need a noise to know you are in gear you should be able feel it. Its not like the gaskets are 20 bucks there like $5-$6. Not much of a difference from a thing of rtv.

9. Matt94GT

Matt94GT Legend Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

Only thing I can think of is for ppl that daily drive their stangs, to just dampen the noise abit, I agree the leak thing is bs.

10. ryclef331

ryclef331 Well-Known Member

screw the 5 -6 bucks....then waiting for shipping to make it a "faster install." You want a rubber/silicon vibe/noise damper, slap a bead of black rtv of the shifter base and let it set up completely. THEN bolt your shifter down. Guess what...same thing works for handle gasket. Wait 2-3 day for shipping or wait a day for it to set up....hmmm. Those gaskets are a rip.

11. 94Vert

94Vert Active Member

I had a little trouble with my install. The old shifter was siezed on there pretty good. I had to use a flat blade to pry around the base of the shifter. After that it easy very easy.

12. Stangbangin

Stangbangin Active Member

Yea the stock shifte ron mine was crazy stuck...but someone here actually said to do a rowdy 1-2 powershift and low and behold that piece came loose.

13. 95KBGT

95KBGT Legend

lets put it like this, me and my lil brother put his MGW shifter on his terminator at 1am christmas day in the dark, both wasted and we got it right the first time, so dont worry.

14. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

;D ;D ;D

15. Downshift

Downshift Well-Known Member

Dont mean to change teh subject but KB did you have that cowl hood on your car before and go back to stock or what happened with that? The one that is under your name.