Shifter install

Gustang

Reaction score
hey im getting a pro 5.o shifter for christmas, and i was just curious how difficult it was to install a shifter. also i have heard that if i dont do something right, i might screw up my synchro's.. is this true? let me know Thanks

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Its easy, you cant hurt your syncros or at least im pretty sure you cant. you just have to adjust the stops and it can be done with the car off. It was probaly the 1st mod I ever did my self and I found it pretty damn easy.

Greggerex

Reaction score
First mod I ever did myself as well.

It's not bad at all. Have fun.

Stangbangin

Reaction score
let me give you step by step real quick.... unbolt old shifter... yank if off...put on new shifter tighten bolts your done

Suspect

Reaction score
dont forget to get some rtv. :santa_afro:

ryclef331

Reaction score
last_5_liter said:
Also I recommend this shifter gasket

http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/

It saves time and all that. It allows for a faster shifter install

Give me a break. Thats some dude just trying to scam a buck. That isn't anything you can't make at home yourself.

5 YEARS. I've never used a gasket on any shifter....EVER. No leaks. If you don't like the noise that lets your KNOW you're in gear then you shouldn't have changed the shifter to begin with....

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
What is wrong with using a gasket? The problem with rtv isnt leaks it is more to stop the noise and speed up time/less mess. You shouldnt need a noise to know you are in gear you should be able feel it. Its not like the gaskets are 20 bucks there like $5-$6. Not much of a difference from a thing of rtv.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
last_5_liter said:
Also I recommend this shifter gasket

http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/

It saves time and all that. It allows for a faster shifter install

Give me a break. Thats some dude just trying to scam a buck. That isn't anything you can't make at home yourself.

5 YEARS. I've never used a gasket on any shifter....EVER. No leaks. If you don't like the noise that lets your KNOW you're in gear then you shouldn't have changed the shifter to begin with....

Only thing I can think of is for ppl that daily drive their stangs, to just dampen the noise abit, I agree the leak thing is bs.

ryclef331

Reaction score
screw the 5 -6 bucks....then waiting for shipping to make it a "faster install." You want a rubber/silicon vibe/noise damper, slap a bead of black rtv of the shifter base and let it set up completely. THEN bolt your shifter down. Guess what...same thing works for handle gasket. Wait 2-3 day for shipping or wait a day for it to set up....hmmm. Those gaskets are a rip.

94Vert

Reaction score
I had a little trouble with my install. The old shifter was siezed on there pretty good. I had to use a flat blade to pry around the base of the shifter. After that it easy very easy.

Stangbangin

Reaction score
94Vert said:
I had a little trouble with my install. The old shifter was siezed on there pretty good. I had to use a flat blade to pry around the base of the shifter. After that it easy very easy.
Yea the stock shifte ron mine was crazy stuck...but someone here actually said to do a rowdy 1-2 powershift and low and behold that piece came loose.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
lets put it like this, me and my lil brother put his MGW shifter on his terminator at 1am christmas day in the dark, both wasted and we got it right the first time, so dont worry.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
95KBGT said:
lets put it like this, me and my lil brother put his MGW shifter on his terminator at 1am christmas day in the dark, both wasted and we got it right the first time, so dont worry.

;D ;D ;D

Downshift

Reaction score
95KBGT said:

Dont mean to change teh subject but KB did you have that cowl hood on your car before and go back to stock or what happened with that? The one that is under your name.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online