shmutz in my fuel rail

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ttocs, Oct 1, 2014.

1. ttocs

ttocs Legend

Forgive the technical term in the title but as I was swapping out injectors and putting on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator I noticed inside of my fuel rail was corroded with dark spots that looked like rust. Is this normal? If not can I just soak it in some vinegar to get rid of it or do I need to replace it?

2. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Ethanol is some caustic stuff! 10% mixture claims is BS. Ive learned with lawn mowers to never leave the same gas sit in it for a couple of weeks. Always drain it out for any longer period.

Not sure how normal it is or what it is but if your fuel rails look that way, I would imagine other fuel component's do too. Is it sludge? Can you scrape it? Maybe its sediment? Just a few idea...

3. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I'm sure you've got lacquer thinner since you're a do-it-yourself body/paint guy. Soak it in that then shoot some air through them. Don't let the rubber crossover piece touch the thinner though.

4. ttocs

ttocs Legend

just looks like surface rust inside of it. I use cider vinegar to strip rust on parts so I was going to start there and work my way up to the methylamine(breaking bad reference)

5. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Good thinking.

...that flew right over my head until I read the parenthesis.