shmutz in my fuel rail

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Forgive the technical term in the title but as I was swapping out injectors and putting on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator I noticed inside of my fuel rail was corroded with dark spots that looked like rust. Is this normal? If not can I just soak it in some vinegar to get rid of it or do I need to replace it?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ethanol is some caustic stuff! 10% mixture claims is BS. Ive learned with lawn mowers to never leave the same gas sit in it for a couple of weeks. Always drain it out for any longer period.

Not sure how normal it is or what it is but if your fuel rails look that way, I would imagine other fuel component's do too. Is it sludge? Can you scrape it? Maybe its sediment? Just a few idea...

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Forgive the technical term in the title but as I was swapping out injectors and putting on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator I noticed inside of my fuel rail was corroded with dark spots that looked like rust. Is this normal? If not can I just soak it in some vinegar to get rid of it or do I need to replace it?

I'm sure you've got lacquer thinner since you're a do-it-yourself body/paint guy. Soak it in that then shoot some air through them. Don't let the rubber crossover piece touch the thinner though.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just looks like surface rust inside of it. I use cider vinegar to strip rust on parts so I was going to start there and work my way up to the methylamine(breaking bad reference)

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
just looks like surface rust inside of it. I use cider vinegar to strip rust on parts so I was going to start there and work my way up to the methylamine(breaking bad reference)

Good thinking.

...that flew right over my head until I read the parenthesis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online