Shock at key

doc_phibz

Reaction score
I tested the coil spark with a spark tester and all was good. When I would test the spark plug wires, my assistant would feel a shock at the key as the tester sparked. changed to a different ground and same result. I am using jumper cable to connect tester to ground. I used the same ground for the coil and plug tests. What gives?

OP
OP
D

doc_phibz

Reaction score
Could it be because of a bad ignition switch? Is it really that common in these models for them to go bad?

RichV

Reaction score
DC voltage does not 'shock' at 12V. You can definitely feel 30-40,000 volts off the coil tho. :)

RichV

Reaction score
ever licked a 9v?

Yes. But if you run fingers across it, it does nothing. Grab the positive and negative on a car battery, you'll live. :) Now I wouldn't lick car battery terminals, lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just saying it is possible to get shocked by 12v dc or less. Yes under normal conditions if everything is dry and the car is grounded correctly then there should be very little chance that anyone gets shocked. Now take a hot day when everyone is sweating and has oily/greasy hands on a car that has a ground issue and you would be surprised how easy it is to get a tingle from a car battery. In this case though when he is working with the coil/plugs he is not working with 12v and though and a bad engine/chassis ground could send that coil/plug high voltage seeking ground obviously through the easiest path it can find. You can tell if he got 12v or the high voltage. 12v will tickle and make you say "Hey I got shocked" which normally leads to a conversation something to the tune of "Are you sure?". The coil voltage will sound more like,"YEAAAAWAAAAHUH? What the G-Damn F'ing hell I just got the shtuff shocked out of me!". That normally doesn't lead into the are you sure conversation.......

But in all seriousness tell your assistant to quit being such a damn puss its only electrons AND DO YOU KNOW HOW SMALL THEY ARE?! Get back in and turn the key!!!!!! I would check your battery/chassis ground(right next to the battery) and the chassis/engine ground. By check I mean remove them, sand the area to clean them and then retighten.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online