shock/struts...school me

lrall

Reaction score
So i was looking through a bunch of sites making my pre-mod list :dancing6:(im bored) and wtf is the difference/function of shocks/struts? I saw bilstein shocks/struts for 550 :eek: whats the deal folks?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Shocks out back. Struts in front.

Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

NYC94GT

Reaction score
lrall said:
So i was looking through a bunch of sites making my pre-mod list :dancing6:(im bored) and wtf is the difference/function of shocks/struts? I saw bilstein shocks/struts for 550 :eek: whats the deal folks?
For Mustangs, Porsches, Hondas and others, the "Modified McPherson Strut" set up is used with these cars. Technically, it consists of a lower "A" arm, coil spring and Strut combination. The Mustang mounts the coil on the A-arm between it and the frame, where is the Porsche and Honda employ coilovers. Obviously this is a better setup due to increased "Wheel Rate" and less "Spring Rate", though this is for another story... The strut is not only to help dampen spring jounce, but it is a structural member of the front suspension. It mounts to the caster/camber plate and to the strut tower. The strut also rotates as the wheels are turned and maintains proper geometry. For SLA style front suspensions there is a shock in between the a-arms and only work in one dimension. The shocks on the Stang do two things, they keep the rear end from dropping down too far once lifted off, and they control spring jounce. They do nothing to keep the rear end in place or have anything to do with susp. geometry. Hope this helps. :police:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online