Shopping for a '94 or '95 GT... a couple questions

RufusT

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I have done some searching and reading, as I am in the process of saving up for my dream car - a 1994 or 1995 Mustang GT. I finally got the "OK" from my wife to get one and build it up, provided I save and pay cash, as opposed to financing it.. I've been reading up to get direction on which mods to do and such and will continue to do so.

In my preliminary searching for the car, I have noticed that the price that is being charged for these model years seems to be quite a bit higher than the Kelly Blue Book pricing that is readily available. I understand that dealerships have to make some money out of the deal, but in some cases the prices they are asking for are as much as 2x the Kelley Blue Book retail value - which seems really ridiculous to me... Am I way off point here? Is there some reason that these model years are so out there?

Also, I have been looking at the Coupe, as I have a Jeep and no real interest in the convertible. Is there any benefit to the convertible from a weight perspective? Is there any reason to consider a convertible?

Finally, I know that the automatic transmissions of today are advanced enough that there is not really a benefit to manual (other than control over shift timing). Were the 1994 and 1995 automatics similar in ability, or would I be better with a manual?

Thank you for any input you can give. I am pretty excited!!

Rufus

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Auto 94-95 GT is a mid 15 second car... I don't know if I'd go that route. Sounds like you won't be driving it every day, so unless you have a physical disability, I'd get a manual one. Try to find one from a private seller as well, I'm not sure why you would even bother getting one from dealer. Personally, if it's an option, I'd do a 96-98 Cobra instead. Save up a bit more if you have to. It's just nice to start out with better brakes and nearly 50% more power than stock GT. 215 hp out of 5.0L V8 is kinda funny when you think about it.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Must just be your area. SN95's here can be had for under 3k in great shape. And no, a convertible will actually weight more, not less. They are also not as rigid as a coupe. And forget the auto, go manual. The auto of that time was not as good as the autos of the modern time.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
In my preliminary searching for the car, I have noticed that the price that is being charged for these model years seems to be quite a bit higher than the Kelly Blue Book pricing that is readily available. I understand that dealerships have to make some money out of the deal, but in some cases the prices they are asking for are as much as 2x the Kelley Blue Book retail value - which seems really ridiculous to me... Am I way off point here? Is there some reason that these model years are so out there?

Everyone thinks mustangs are highly desirable, which is someone true. Stay away from a dealership, buy something private. Wait for a good deal, use general caution when buying a used car.

Also, I have been looking at the Coupe, as I have a Jeep and no real interest in the convertible. Is there any benefit to the convertible from a weight perspective? Is there any reason to consider a convertible?

You want a coupe actually. Lighter and stiffer.

Finally, I know that the automatic transmissions of today are advanced enough that there is not really a benefit to manual (other than control over shift timing). Were the 1994 and 1995 automatics similar in ability, or would I be better with a manual?
You want a manual. Autos don't get good until like... recently haha.

Is there any particular reason for the 94/95?

What would be your plans for the car? Modify it or just drive as is?

I'll move this to general tech since its not really a question about the engine, more about the sn95 in general.

Welcome to the forum btw.

OP
OP
R

RufusT

Reaction score
The goal with this car is to have my dream car and tinker on it as I learn more... It started out as a "let's get a $1000 car and fix it"... but realistically, that makes no sense, as a running/driving mustang can be bought for $1500-2000. May as well get one I can drive and rebuild when I have to...

As for the reason for these specific years - It's about the 5.0... modifications and such are less costly on the 5.0 than the 4.6... unless I am missing something...

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Think a little more about your plans for the car - the reason I say this is because the parts for a track car is quite different from that of a drag car which is also different from that of a fun weekend cruiser. Some parts overlap, but a lot don't, and the ones that do have varying degrees of "robustness" - both a weekend cruise and a track car will have suspension changes, but suggestions for the track car suspension will be way overkill for a weekend cruiser, for example. We will be better able to suggest parts and paths of upgrades if you could be more specific (like "oh, I plan on driving it every other day or so, mostly cruising, may want to try an AutoX at some point"). Otherwise, you will get a bunch of us throwing a bunch of different options at you for the same component.

I went through the same process as you - looked for a 94/95 because 302, wanted something cheap that needed some TLC. Look at private sellers, dealerships are almost always a rip-off. The price of the car will also depend greatly on where you live. I ran into the same issue you have, I felt a lot of the cars I looked at were over-priced, and certainly way above KBB. I got lucky and found what I wanted for negotiated for the price I wanted. Just be patient.

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
If u want an sn95 go cobra if u can if not go 94-95 with a 5.0 because if u were to mod ur motor its wayyy cheaper and easier to do on that 302 motor.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When I was looking, I found that for the price people wanted for the Cobra, I could buy a GT, buy Cobra brakes, do HCI, and still be cheaper than the Cobra. But that was my experience, others may be able to find cheap Cobra's.

Edit: if you don't like working on cars, then yes, get the Cobra.

OP
OP
R

RufusT

Reaction score
Let me throw some other details in here for you guys, as what you are saying is matching up pretty strongly with what I expected. I have a two car garage that I use as a shop. I have built a custom 750 hardtail honda and done a ton of maintenance and upgrades on mine and my wife's Jeep. I actually enjoy working on the cars quite a bit. However, when I look at the amount of money that it will cost to fix something that I can pick up for $1000, compared to the $2000 - 2500 that I can likely get a GT in reasonable shape, I have to lean toward something that I can drive.

I don't know that I will do much if any drag racing on this, outside of the occasional run with friends just for grins. However, I don't really want a "cruiser" out of it. I had already planned to look at different suspension options and such.

I want to stay with the 302, but I don't really like the older fox body style. I have always like the 94/95 (including those tail lights that others seem to dislike). As such, I am likely going to find a GT and be happy with it. If I can find a Cobra in that year for a reasonable price point, I would be good with that also.

As I am working to save the money for this, as opposed to financing, I have alot of time to weigh options.

Rufus

myk

Reaction score
Halo cars like the Mustang will always sell for more than KBB will list it for. One reason is that their owners always think they're sitting on a pile of gold when they buy these things, and would like that gold when they sell. Location also has something to do with it. I still see SN95's pull 5 digit asking prices out here in San Diego for example.

If you're OK working on your own car then get a clean GT and have at it. Just keep in mind that even with some 'mods you won't be winning any street race championships any time soon, and you'll find that owning one of these cars is truly an act of devotion.

As for the tail lights, I always thought it was the other way around, that people preferred the 94/95's over the newer ones...

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Get a coupe and a 5 speed. 94-95 autos are blah, I swapped my 95 to manual. If I did it again I'd get a manual from the getco. Convertibles are heavy, soft and even slower. Grab yourself a 5 speed GT, you won't regret it. A lot of people despise 94-98 Mustangs and shit on them like most do about the mid to late 70s mustangs. I love my 302, solid motor, torquey for what it is, and reliable

OP
OP
R

RufusT

Reaction score
I've been pretty sure that my Mustang is going to be a GT... If I can find a Cobra of the same years at a reasonable price, I will buy it. All in all, I'm looking forward to having something quick and nimble. It is not intended to be a street race championship car, just something fun to work on and drive.

Thanks for all the input. I am more excited now than I was before!

Rufus

Mustanger

Reaction score
I love my 94 GT 5spd manual coupe! So much fun to drive & after the suspension mods it feels like a sports/race car! I've built mine from the ground up mostly...Made it brake better, corner better, it stays flat in the turns, and no longer has rear axle hopping on accel, braking or cornering. Now I can drive as hard as I am comfortable with & shift hard at WOT & listen to the pipes roar. I can't imagine any other car being as much fun! Ok I know I only have 215 HP & my car is not REALLY fast...but she doesn't know that & I don't get in over my head yet! LOL...I love the 94/95's too! The looks, the sound, the feel of them the ease of finding parts everywhere...It is a FUN car!

The 3:55 gears ought to be a very early mod...you won't believe how it feels & drives so much better! ALL your gears pull now even 5th going up a hill! Yet I gained 1mpg! I hope I never get everything all done because modding something makes it feel like a new car all over again.

OP
OP
R

RufusT

Reaction score
I just wanted to update everyone... In the end, it didn't really matter what EXACTLY I wanted... I found a steal of a deal on a 1994 GT 5.0 that needs a little tlc... Automatic transmission... teal paint (love it, though it will need a new paint job)... motor turns but does not start... $750!

I am now officially a mustang owner.

Rufus

Mustanger

Reaction score
LOL...isn't that always the way! We buy what we find at the moment even if it is different than what we start out for! I wanted a RED New Edge Convertible & got a white 94 GT Coupe!!! Congrats on finding a car for a really awesome price....Now go have fun playing/working on it!!!! Let the fun begin!

OP
OP
R

RufusT

Reaction score
Always the way, Mustanger... I actually got to drive it today... the battery did not have enough juice to really get her started. I connected it to my jeep and kept rpm up a bit while a buddy cranked it and she started up... drove her around a little and charged the battery... Sees there is a short in the steering column/ignition switch area, as adjusting the column will make the short appear...

Fun times ahead!

Rufus

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
When I was looking, I found that for the price people wanted for the Cobra, I could buy a GT, buy Cobra brakes, do HCI, and still be cheaper than the Cobra. But that was my experience, others may be able to find cheap Cobra's.

Edit: if you don't like working on cars, then yes, get the Cobra.
This. Cobra ain't worth it unless you want the badges and to say "I drive a cobra" which nothing is wrong with that. I wish I could. Lol.
But the cobra just has a better cam (slightly better), better heads and better intake (gt40 google it, it's everywhere). rated at 240hp from factory over the 215 for a gt. 25 hp is NOT worth the money but totes worth the the "cobra" emblems. Lol.

There are other differences, better brakes, 24lb injectors, other little things. But really, you can do all of this to your car like he says for way less.

Edit: just finished reading the thread and saw he bought one already. Lmao. but glad it worked out dude!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
...I'm looking forward to having something quick...

Got your work cut out for you, but it's a well-beaten path. Shouldn't be too hard at all.

...and nimble.

Really got your work cut out for you :) Nimble is not the first adjective that comes to mind for these cars. But still totally do-able.

Neither quick nor nimble can be had in stock form. Welcome to SN95 Mustang ownership, you'll have fun :)

Mustanger

Reaction score
Eibach ProkitPlus suspension, MM full subframes, all new tie rod ends & bushings front & rear, MM adjustable LCA's, (Koni adjustable Yellow Sport Shocks & Struts waiting to be installed) MM Panhard Bar next...Bullitt/Cobra PBR 13" brakes with Baer Rotors, Steeda CC plates, 275-40-17" fronts & 315-35-17" rear ...Now it feels pretty nimble! LOL...not quick at all yet but faster with the BBK Cold air, Magnapack catback, & BBK offroad Hpipe & 3:55 gears! (I hope)

OP
OP
R

RufusT

Reaction score
Guys,

I have gotten it running and can honestly say - There is a lot of work ahead of me. The previous owners (god only knows how many there were) did not appear to do much maintenance. The first step is going to be renewal of the steering and suspension components. I don't hate the way it handles right now, though everything feels a little loose and there is a definate "shimmy" in the rear end. I expect that is a wheel bearing going out.

I am thinking I will use primarly stock/oem replacement components for the initial refurbish and restore drivability. My thought on this is that, while I want a quick car with ample power, I do not plan for it to be an all out drag car. I want something comfortable to ride in, not stiff... Once the drivability is restored to where I am comfortable pushing the vehicle a little, I will work on performance of the engine and overall handling.

Do you guys think I am approaching this appropriately?

R

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online