shorty or long tube headers?

el docum

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't think headers make a big gain change in H.P. if you already have a good mid pipe and cat back.

For a 94-95 I prefer shorty ceramic like theses :

15250 1994-95 5.0 Mustang 1-5/8" Shorty (Polished Ceramic Finish)

BBK1515.jpg

F.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Being that you have an auto, you might have a bit of trouble finding a "good" fitting set of full lengths. If you can, got for the Long tubes! They'll always make slightly more power over shorties, easier to work around once in the car (in my opinion), and will set you up for MORE power in the future should you continue to modify the car...

Maniak87

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
Being that you have an auto, you might have a bit of trouble finding a "good" fitting set of full lengths. If you can, got for the Long tubes! They'll always make slightly more power over shorties, easier to work around once in the car (in my opinion), and will set you up for MORE power in the future should you continue to modify the car...

+1 being an auto might give you some trouble but see if you can get around that.

GaryG

Reaction score
i say go for longtubes

MAC has longtube headers for $270-300

then theres KOOKS custom headers, that cost out the ace, but a good quality header from what i have heard

ryclef331

Reaction score
GaryG said:
i say go for longtubes

MAC has longtube headers for $270-300

then theres KOOKS custom headers, that cost out the ace, but a good quality header from what i have heard

I'm not saying that MAC are the GREATEST header out there and I usually don't flat out reccomend them (b/c about a million people will pop up with horror stories about them) BUT if you don't mind the paint burning off in the first 2 days, and can live with the look of a rusty header, they are GREAT for the money. I've had mine for 4 years on my car. They've come off and gone back one SO many times I can't count. They fit like the did the day I bought'em! They're out of the car right now so I'm going to wrap them with header wrap this go round but again...if its all you can afford, FUCKING GO FOR IT! I LOVE my Macs and I don't care WHO knows it.

Brian95GT

Reaction score
I vote long tubes. Ryclef said it first that it is way easier to work on the car with long tubes. Swapping over from the shorty x to the cut stock pipe for emissions is almost too simple.

I went from MAC equal length shorties to BBK long tubes. After I put the MACs on, almost immediately I smelled oil burning from my exhaust. I just thought that the headers were doing a good job scavenging. After some research on other internet forums, I have seen others finding the same thing. They came up with the conclusion that the HTS coating is also on the inside of the headers. Since we all know it comes off on the outside, it was also coming off on the inside. With the EGR hooked up, the burning coating was making its way back into the cylinders and onto the piston walls. They also said that it was messing with the piston rings causing oil to get up into the cylinders. I believed it because after about a month, I started smelling oil burning from my exhaust, but no visual blue smoke. Now the car doesn't have EGR or smog, again I have only positives of getting rid of them.

The BBK long tubes have been on the car for 3 years now and still look new with no problems.

ryclef331

Reaction score
For what its worth...I've heard 03 cobra guys saying the SAME thing about BBK's and the welding slag....

Brian95GT said:
I vote long tubes. Ryclef said it first that it is way easier to work on the car with long tubes. Swapping over from the shorty x to the cut stock pipe for emissions is almost too simple.

I went from MAC equal length shorties to BBK long tubes. After I put the MACs on, almost immediately I smelled oil burning from my exhaust. I just thought that the headers were doing a good job scavenging. After some research on other internet forums, I have seen others finding the same thing. They came up with the conclusion that the HTS coating is also on the inside of the headers. Since we all know it comes off on the outside, it was also coming off on the inside. With the EGR hooked up, the burning coating was making its way back into the cylinders and onto the piston walls. They also said that it was messing with the piston rings causing oil to get up into the cylinders. I believed it because after about a month, I started smelling oil burning from my exhaust, but no visual blue smoke. Now the car doesn't have EGR or smog, again I have only positives of getting rid of them.

The BBK long tubes have been on the car for 3 years now and still look new with no problems.

Brian95GT

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
For what its worth...I've heard 03 cobra guys saying the SAME thing about BBK's and the welding slag....

Brian95GT said:

I know. Really, I guess the lesson is you get what you pay for. :dunno: It seems that there are problems with many aftermarket companies. Nothing ever fits right, stays that way, or whatever. ;)

SVTGizzi

Reaction score
i have had my MAC longtubes for a while and i have had no problems, im on a budget and like everyone said i got them for less than $300 and i love them! the only thing i dont like is it quieted it down a little

GaryG

Reaction score
SVTGizzi said:
i have had my MAC longtubes for a while and i have had no problems, im on a budget and like everyone said i got them for less than $300 and i love them! the only thing i dont like is it quieted it down a little
if u want it quite a bit louder, sell those flows and slap on some slp lm1 exhaust...make it alot louder and kill ppl's ears at high rpm's

ryclef331

Reaction score
DisturbedRacing said:
Kooks long tubes FTW...

Well built headers, I love mine.

X10000000000

If you got the money....fuck Bassani...KOOKS is where its at. I just put a set of longtubes on an 01 ZO6 this weekend and I gotta say...the craftsmanship was HANDS DOWN pheonominal. MONEY WELL SPENT!

Trickflow.GT

Reaction score
what about the mac ceramicoated ones....how do those stand up..i want them to stay shiny for a long time :)

ryclef331

Reaction score
Trickflow.GT said:
what about the mac ceramicoated ones....how do those stand up..i want them to stay shiny for a long time :)

If you want them to stay shiny, stay away from MAC....BBK i would say would be the most reasonably priced and quality enough to last longer than MACs.

DamieN

Reaction score
el docum said:
Hello,

I don't think headers make a big gain change in H.P. if you already have a good mid pipe and cat back.

For a 94-95 I prefer shorty ceramic like theses :

15250 1994-95 5.0 Mustang 1-5/8" Shorty (Polished Ceramic Finish)

BBK1515.jpg

94 DropTop

Reaction score
sounds like you need to man up and get the long tubes. i recommend the mac longtube ceramic. thats what i have on my auto vert still sound and look great. i have had only one problem. the pass side O2 sensor bung wasent in a usable spot so plugged one, and had another made. easy.

Trickflow.GT

Reaction score
im not running an egr system so can i get away with running fox headers..will everything fit?

acmsheva7

Reaction score
can i make long tube headers fit a regular a o/r x-pipe by cutting it??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online