Should I be getting vacuum at all these connections?

maillemaker

Reaction score
So while I pulled the wheel well liner to get at the charcoal canister today to replace a rotted vacuum line going to it, I checked for vacuum at the diverter, bypass, and EGR valve solenoids.

The only line that was giving me suction with the engine running was the green line.

Should I not be getting vacuum through one of the lines at the diverter and bypass solenoids?

Thanks,IMG_7708.JPG

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
when activated they should open to draw vacuum
But shouldn't there be vacuum on one line running TO the solenoid so that when it opens it sucks through the circuit?

In other words, shouldn't one line be "hot" with vacuum to all 3 solenoids, all the time?

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
I'm not getting any suction on either line going to the bypass and diverter solenoids. This may be why I'm getting AIR codes.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Trace the vacuum lines. I’m not very familiar with the smog pump setup but maybe the red line is the vacuum signal and the other ones only have vacuum when the solenoids open. Remember the smog system only works on warmup.

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
Trace the vacuum lines. I’m not very familiar with the smog pump setup but maybe the red line is the vacuum signal and the other ones only have vacuum when the solenoids open. Remember the smog system only works on warmup.
I'm trying to avoid tracing them. :)

The smog system only works on warmup, but it works by turning on the solenoids, right?

Which means there should be vacuum on one line at all the solenoids all the time, right?

Right now I'm only getting vacuum on the green line. I'm pretty sure that runs right back to the main vacuum pickup on the intake manifold.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid tracing them. :)

The smog system only works on warmup, but it works by turning on the solenoids, right?

Which means there should be vacuum on one line at all the solenoids all the time, right?

Right now I'm only getting vacuum on the green line. I'm pretty sure that runs right back to the main vacuum pickup on the intake manifold.
You’d always get vacuum at that line since it’s before the valve. Once the valve opens, the vacuum line going to the valve for the cats will have vacuum as well.

I would still trace the vacuum lines under the hood to see where they go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online