Should I buy this 1995 or 1997?

shadwell10201

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum! This is going to be kind of a two part post but here goes :

I won't get into specifics right now but unfortunately I've been mustang-less since 2008 (story for another time). Anyways I came across this 6cyl mustang:

Sorry the video is kind of stupid and non edited. But it really shows the car well so I just wanted some opinions on what you guys think of it.

However, I also came across a 1997 4.6 2v, also a convertible. And for around the same price !! ($2500). I feel like that is insanely low for a v8 mustang. I haven't even looked at it yet but also wanted to get some opinions.

Is the 8 most likely have something broken and or about to break? (Yes I know I need to look at it)

I will post pictures of the 4.6 thanks for any and all replies !!

OP
OP
S

shadwell10201

Reaction score
Here is some pictures of the 4.6 The ad states:

"4.6 high output motor that's pretty much all stock except for freshen up valve job, breathes a little bit better now. Cobra clone, spoiler package, very tight car. Rust and rot free. Towers do not need any work. Very clean engine compartment as well. Tan leather interior, could use some detailing. It's been in storage for a few years, so a little musty. Fires right up, runs and drives. Could use a tune-up and oil change. Brakes are fair. 116k, burns/leaks no oil, no coolant leaks. Needs some love, nice summer car. Everything works."

Attachments

• 01313_k2oEDvdT34W_600x450~2.jpg
    01313_k2oEDvdT34W_600x450~2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 27
  • 00u0u_3Udfxuu9j7u_600x450.jpg
    00u0u_3Udfxuu9j7u_600x450.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 00505_7vKQT6tTu92_600x450.jpg
    00505_7vKQT6tTu92_600x450.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 00O0O_kHpcesKLuEe_600x450.jpg
    00O0O_kHpcesKLuEe_600x450.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 28

PinkieT

Reaction score
I would take a close look at the GT. More fun to drive, better sounding exhaust IMHO. However, if it is a POS and you are just looking for a summer cruiser, the V6 looks like a good deal.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
welcome to the form first of all
you will get a few opinions here
I myself am a v8 guy
you got to look at the cars then your budget on how much you want to put in to it
also look at the car for damage rust ,dents ,interior ECT.
just use you best judgment
you find a good deal . go for it

Addicted

Reaction score
If they really want to sell it, have them let you test it for a day. Cruise it, get on it a little, and enjoy it. Then make a decision. But you did come here asking a bunch of V8 guys which to buy.;)

OP
OP
S

shadwell10201

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!

The 95 concerns me because of the drivetrain. The 3.8 is a pretty terrible engine from what I understand.(Head gaskets/head issues and such). And the AOD isn't much better. And combined with a 25 y.o. New England car (rust, rust, rust), it makes me think twice.

I would much prefer the v8. I don't even mind if it needs work, but I don't want to do anything major major. $2500 scares me a little because it seems so damn low.

A few red flags to me in the ad too, "it's been sitting " why? " Freshen up valve job" Why? Did it have some type of issue(s)? He also mentioned it smells musty and it's a convertible. Think: leaky top and rotted floor pans.

I will have to take a look at it. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the replies !!

delling3

Reaction score
The pictures of the GT look like decent condition (no obvious damage). I agree that $2500 is not much money, but I see lots of GT's around that price point here in the midwest. Bottom line is unless you have something special (i.e. a Cobra) or a true low-miles garage queen, the SN-95's are a bargain. Maybe, as the cars age a bit more you will start to see a similar trend to what the Fox bodies are seeing now, but who knows?

I would try to get more info on what was done to the engine. Could be that a P.O. did a PI head-swap, which may be what the seller is referring to when he talks about "breathing better"?

My guess is that the GT interior will show far more wear than the V6 car - Ford used some of the worst leather to ever be put into a car on their leather interiors during this time frame, and most are severely cracked and discolored.

joe65

Reaction score
gt before v6 if you plan to do anything with the car. I might ask about the dash in the gt. Looks like it was replaced or swapped. Usually the light interiors got the light dash.

OP
OP
S

shadwell10201

Reaction score
gt before v6 if you plan to do anything with the car. I might ask about the dash in the gt. Looks like it was replaced or swapped. Usually the light interiors got the light dash.

I noticed this. I thought it looked strange. I wonder what the reason could be that they had to change out the dash?

I might go take a look at it this weekend

Addicted

Reaction score
Spend an extra $2500 on top of what you got and get a good car that doesnt have all them problems.

Addicted

Reaction score
I noticed this. I thought it looked strange. I wonder what the reason could be that they had to change out the dash?

I might go take a look at it this weekend
I would replace the interior before I would the dash. You said it was musty, so maybe the interior had been changed do to that reason. Something to look at, and dont buy it unless you see under that carpet. Especially the driver and passenger side front floor. Get it checked bro. Be proactive on this one. Good luck!

Paladin1001

Reaction score
If they are both in the same shape, its a no-brainer, V8 all day every day. Any rust on the V6, keep looking, no reason to put money into it, the value will never be there to recoup it. The V8 possible would be worth some light rust repair, way better drive train, way more fun, better possibility of higher value in the future.

Addicted

Reaction score
If they are both in the same shape, its a no-brainer, V8 all day every day. Any rust on the V6, keep looking, no reason to put money into it, the value will never be there to recoup it. The V8 possible would be worth some light rust repair, way better drive train, way more fun, better possibility of higher value in the future.
To the point, no V6's.

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
I was always under the impression people went with darker dashboard for glare purposes. Go with the V8, it'll be more fun if you're just buying a toy.