should I change the plug or gap if I keep fouling plugs?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Regardless I’d still look at screamin demon coils Scott. They’re known for being a super strong quality coil. You just gotta make sure your wires aren’t stock. That coil will burn up stock wires. Gotta have 8mm minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well then if you two are tellin me, when the time comes I will get one. Today I was just happy to mount the old/new coil as yesterday I just wired it up and then kind of did a happy dance after it fired over. It was a happy dance crossed with some cussing and stomping as well... I made another adjustment to the front end and its a little closer but I need a buddy to help me make some measurements and probably make another adjustment before I can put it on the road. Looking at the data now its firing up in 3/4 of a second now rather than the 2 seconds it was before. It seems to like the higher fuel pressure, not sure why I didn't think of that before but I am learning and it will not happen again. it sounds so nice.......

Werecow

Reaction score
I know this is a lil off subject, but I was able to dig out one of the old plugs that my pony had in it (wrong plug) and the correct plug for GTP40 heads.. I've still got one I need to change out, but I have to drop the headers on the driver's side to change out the no6? Or no7? It's been a minute and I didn't get I good look when I was out there. Anyhoooooo it had Autolight 2545's in it and I left the box with the correct part no beside the correct plug. The right one has a lot longer thread on it just like the ones you had to have for your pony. IMG_20200310_142315359.jpg

Silver95bird

Reaction score
id start with the typical "no-start list" and go from there. check for pip signal, check the tfi... etc

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know this is a lil off subject, but I was able to dig out one of the old plugs that my pony had in it (wrong plug) and the correct plug for GTP40 heads.. I've still got one I need to change out, but I have to drop the headers on the driver's side to change out the no6? Or no7? It's been a minute and I didn't get I good look when I was out there. Anyhoooooo it had Autolight 2545's in it and I left the box with the correct part no beside the correct plug. The right one has a lot longer thread on it just like the ones you had to have for your pony. View attachment 3333

While I was digging around for that spare coil I found a box that I have kept random parts that have come off the car for one reason or another. There were 3 sets of old/fouled plugs in the box and 2 where the incorrect style, and one was correct for the trickflow heads. So I can tell this has been a problem for a while

id start with the typical "no-start list" and go from there. check for pip signal, check the tfi... etc

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
That is exactly what I did. Since I still had the rpm/tach signal on the dash I knew the pip was good and it was just the coil or tfi that was the problem and since I had an extra coil I was lucky.

Werecow

Reaction score
Hmmmm, just compared your trickflow plug to my GTP40 plug and the thread depth looks about the same, only difference is yours has a crush sleeve type seal on it I'm assuming for the aluminum heads or just how the seal is made and mine is a taper seal.. Interesting... Really off topic here but I wonder if since they both have the long reach plug if the trickflow has a relocated plug angle like the GTP40 heads? Just curious and prolly not the right place for the question..

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hmmmm, just compared your trickflow plug to my GTP40 plug and the thread depth looks about the same, only difference is yours has a crush sleeve type seal on it I'm assuming for the aluminum heads or just how the seal is made and mine is a taper seal.. Interesting... Really off topic here but I wonder if since they both have the long reach plug if the trickflow has a relocated plug angle like the GTP40 heads? Just curious and prolly not the right place for the question..
I am not an expert on the subject but I am fairly sure the "twisted wedge" name that that makes the name of their heads was because of the design and one of the reasons they flowed so much better than the stock heads. I am not sure exactly how it worked but something was twisted slightly in the design.

Werecow

Reaction score
That would make sense, I dint know you had the twisted wedge version if their heads,or u missed it somehow,very cool!! BTW!!! I'm almost 1/2 way thru reading your "Momstang" build!!! Man you put a shitton of work into that ride!!! I'm danm proud of all that you accomplished on that pony, in sickness and health you really fought thru it and made a really one of a kind, special ride!!! No bloody way in hell should you even think about selling/parting out all those years of blood sweat and tears!! Hats off ya good kind sir!!!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
That would make sense, I dint know you had the twisted wedge version if their heads,or u missed it somehow,very cool!! BTW!!! I'm almost 1/2 way thru reading your "Momstang" build!!! Man you put a shitton of work into that ride!!! I'm danm proud of all that you accomplished on that pony, in sickness and health you really fought thru it and made a really one of a kind, special ride!!! No bloody way in hell should you even think about selling/parting out all those years of blood sweat and tears!! Hats off ya good kind sir!!!
I don't think trickflow makes a head that isn't in the "twisted wedge" design. That is their thing.

"Twisted Wedge heads feature an exclusive combustion chamber design. ... As a result of optimizing the valve locations, valve angles, and combustion chamber shape, the Twisted Wedge heads use stock height intake and exhaust ports that allow the use of most OEM and aftermarket intake and exhaust manifolds."

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Start with the TrickFlow plug recommendations and then adjust to hotter or colder plugs as needed. Go with the recommended gap of the plug maker unless you have a REAL strong set of coils.

If you are really into engine tweaking, look into plug indexing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online