Should I do synthetic engine oil?

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
Well, I've always toyed the idea of going full synthetic in the engine but always thought it wasnt worth it with a motor that has 115k miles on it.

I've heard things like leaks appearing after going synthetic because the "gummed up" stuff breaks free and opens up leaks?

What are the upsides and downsides of it?

Convince me to do it and then tell me what weight I should go with. All year driving, cold months are coming up however!

97vertstang

Reaction score
i switched to mobil 1 full synthetic at 100k miles.the car runs nice , no oil consumption and no leaks.i did it cause i like to put the best in my car, and this way i can change my oil every 5k miles.i used mobil 1 5w-30 with a mobli 1 filter.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I personally wouldnt bother, just change your oil more reguarly and still save your self more money. If/when I do a rebuild I will def use synthetics. I only have 72,000KMS on mine so like (50k miles) and I just use Castrol GTX 10W30. BUT I have been debating on switching over since I still have low mileage.

monkeydude3

Reaction score
if your car uses ANY oil, leak or burn, when you go to synthetic it will use wayyy more

mine loves oil with regular! so until I get a rebuilt motor in there, regular oil for me

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if it doesn't burn oil, don't worry about it.

I'd at least do a synthetic blend, it makes a difference with longevity.

gt96stang

Reaction score
Eh, mine eats oil before I changed over to syn.. It doesn't seem to be using any more oil than what it did before.. I changed over around 95k on mine.

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
I use Motorcraft synthetic blend. It is good oil and not as pricey as the others.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Im using Moble 1 Syn. But like matt i have 41k miles on my car. My car seemed to like going to syn's. But I changed everything from the Diff housing to my trany.

caseypayne69

Reaction score
I got 225k miles on my motor, I wonder what I should be using weight an all. I use Valvoline 5 30. Should I be using something else? And yes My oil leaks arond the oil pan seals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online