should i get rear brakes too?

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
i got the mach 1 brakes installed. night and day over of the gt. however, i'm wondering if i should get rear ones also to balance it out? and if so, where could i order a rear kit?

Ender

Reaction score
What are you using the car for? If it's just a street/strip car, it's probably not worth the money, but if you are in to autocross, HPDE, or similar events it would be a good investment. The main benefit to the Cobra rear brake setuop is that the rotors are vented, which allows them to run cooler, extending rotor and pad life under heavy use. Street and drag cars rarely build up enough heat in the rotors to make the swap worthwhile.

OP
OP
MyBoxersSayJoe

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
okay, thanks. mostly street with the occasional track. although, it's been over 2 years.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about it, I got the Baer 13" rear upgrade kit though uses stock caliper manily for looks to balance it out, I like it. The cobra rear really wont help beaking much at all over stock GT so I went that route.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
just get some better pads and maybe some better rotors if you want improved looks.

OP
OP
MyBoxersSayJoe

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
i have ebc green stuff pads and slotted powerslot rotors.

had the same setup on my front brakes, but they warped for some reason. i figured it's only slightly more expensive to upgrade to the better cobra/mach1/bullit brakes then to buy decent pads and rotors again.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my brakes started to warp brand new, I fixed them before it got bad. You have to break them in properly, MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS ASAP they will last much longer and will not/should not warp.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
MyBoxersSayJoe said:
how do i break them in properly?
you have to heat cycle them, i will take mine to a empty road and do about 10 30mph to 10mph hard stops then drive for a couple minutes to let them cool then do it again...then park it overnight.

Ender

Reaction score
"Warped" rotors can usually be saved , the most common cause is actually uneven buildup of pad material. Have them resurfaced and heat cycle them properly, they should be fine afterwards.

OP
OP
MyBoxersSayJoe

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
someone posted an excellent link on my stangnet thread.

warm the brakes up to operating temperature.

8 cycles of 60-10 mph hard stops, never stop completely.

10 minutes of driving without using them again so they can cool then let it sit over night.

seems simple enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online