Should I paint the gauge needles?

Dr Fildo

Reaction score
I have to pull the cluster on my '95 GT to replace the odometer gears. While I'm doing that, I'm replacing the bulbs with LEDs. The florescent orange paint on the back of the needles has faded over time probably from the top being down. I've read that the needles are difficult to put back in the proper position or need to be calibrated properly after reinstalling them. Everything is in its original factory position up to this point. I'm just wondering:

1. How do I pull them off properly without breaking anything and reinstall them?

2. Is it worth the effort?

trebor3170

Reaction score
Yes, it is worth it.

See here, https://websites.godaddy.com/blob/1...1afb7/downloads/1bget8n5o_114329.pdf?2089e5c1 , how to calibrate your speedo and tach, then decide if it's something you feel comfortable doing. As far as the other gauges, just bring your car up to operating temp and take a picture of the cluster with the car running. After, plug the cluster in without the needles or lense, and with the car running, re-install the needles lightly according to the picture you took, don't push them tight until the cluster is removed again.

To remove the needles, a dinner fork works great, just slide the tines under the needle, and gently pry it up.
You will need to sand the white paint off the back side of the needles, don't try to just paint the fronts, it doesn't really work. Paint the back side with flourescent red, I used Testors, and when dry, over coat with white.

TrickVert

Reaction score
See MY THREAD ON CORRAL where I swapped my old needles for some New-Edge ones. Much better than painting, IMO.

IMG_20201114_200324 (Large).jpg

FWIW, I used my idle speed as the reference point for the tach needle re-installation, and drive-tested to insure it was also correct at a specific cruising speed I'd recorded earlier. For the speedo needle, I used GPS to read an accurate speed, then with the help of a passenger holding the wheel (on an empty, straight road), I lightly placed the needle onto the shaft in the proper position. Once I was satisfied of its accuracy, I pressed it into place.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.