Should I Two-Tone my new BOSS-INC hood?

RickSample1

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
New to the forums, I've been building this car since 2002. Won over 100 awards with it including Best Engine at the Summit Racing All Ford Show and multiple 1st places at the All Mustang car shows. It is a V6, but next year would like to swap out the 6 and put in a crate engine. Currently I have a grand Design Autos Cobra-R SVO hood, fit and finish is near perfect. But it isn't tall enough for me... so I bought a Boss-Inc 4" Cobra-R hood. Here's a few pictures of my car and one that has this hood photochoped on and with the middle of the hood/little part of the bumper painted black. The pictures are pretty bad, doesn't really do the car justice.

I think I may be able to pull it off because I have the black airbrushed horse, black 96-98 style taillights, tinted headlights, tinted windows, etc.

FsclItV.jpg

7EK7k0b.jpg

OP
OP
R

RickSample1

Reaction score
I photochopped a picture of another Mustang with my same hood, think the black looks pretty cool with it. I think he's a member of this site, here it is before and after. Hope it's okay I use it

e1mDrOy.jpg

ifGw5P2.jpg

OP
OP
R

RickSample1

Reaction score
Here is one that actually has the cowl hood painted, not photochopped

H82y1vS.jpg

Here is one with my same hood, but nothing done to it. I personally think that's to much white...

P7HDwnO.jpg

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I really like it the way it is chopped onto the first pics of your car. I am usually not one for things on the side of the car but you really pull it off!

Also, the teal car belongs to Det_Riot, but I am pretty sure he sold it

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I really like it the way it is chopped onto the first pics of your car. I am usually not one for things on the side of the car but you really pull it off!

Bryan still has that car, it's getting coyote swapped. He's just not on here anymore and has been playing with his cts-v wagon more lately. He is still on the other site regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bryan still has that car, it's getting coyote swapped. He's just not on here anymore and has been playing with his cts-v wagon more lately. He is still on the other site regularly.

Thank you fro the update! I thought he sold it (one of my buddys showed me an old for sale thread) but maybe he came to his senses :)

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you fro the update! I thought he sold it (one of my buddys showed me an old for sale thread) but maybe he came to his senses :)

He sold the setup in it. Maybe that's what you seen. He goes back and forth on what he wants to do with it. I still talk to Bryan kw and then. But yeah..............
805f3992aa174190c658a93802619746.jpg

But back to op and what this thread was about. I think the hood in all white works great but I can see where punting the cowl could work too. I just wonder should it be solid black or have airbrushed details as well to help blend it.

OP
OP
R

RickSample1

Reaction score

Thanks! Just wanted something a little different, that was painted I think around 12 years ago, one of the first things I did to the car. Originally the the car was factory it even came with Hub caps and the engine bay had a rust coating over everything, looked almost black.

I scrubbed everything down. The sidewalls and firewall were a stained yellow. Painted everything in the engine (side walls, block, brackets, etc.) Then I made a custom engine cover and had that airbrushed plus added a lot of chrome. Interior is also fully custom. I'll try to take a few pictures this weekend to post after the hood gets painted.

OP
OP
R

RickSample1

Reaction score
But back to op and what this thread was about. I think the hood in all white works great but I can see where punting the cowl could work too. I just wonder should it be solid black or have airbrushed details as well to help blend it.

My airbrushing guy wanted a little to much to come out. I had my horse airbrushed awhile ago... the guy doesn't work there anymore. I started using another guy who did my engine. I originally wanted to do 6 ghosted rivets down each side of the black. To make it look like the black was being bolted down. Something that you couldn't see from a distance, but you could see up close. Would only take 20 minutes tops, he wanted $200. I figured it wasn't worth the cost.

OP
OP
R

RickSample1

Reaction score
Black center on your car looks right.

Yep that's what I decided to do, I have a meeting at the dealership today at 4pm. They quoted me $436 last Saturday to paint it white top and bottom. I'm going to see if they could do the top black. The lady I talked to Saturday didn't know if they could do it, but was going to talk to the painter today. Hopefully he can, the only thing he has to do is paint the entire hood white, mask off the sides and paint black.

It's a Chevy dealership, but we know the owners. Plus that's the only place that's minutes from my house. Any other place is at least 30 minutes and I don't really want to drive the car around here on the highway since they're reconstructing it and it's full of pot holes at the moment. So they're my only choice, fingers crossed they can do it!

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Based on your photo at summit racing and the fact that the interstate construction/ potholes are a problem I'm guessing you're from Ohio, welcome from Akron!

Nice looking car, I think the black center would look great. I think it would tie in well with the air brush on the sides better than plain white

OP
OP
R

RickSample1

Reaction score
Based on your photo at summit racing and the fact that the interstate construction/ potholes are a problem I'm guessing you're from Ohio, welcome from Akron!

Nice looking car, I think the black center would look great. I think it would tie in well with the air brush on the sides better than plain white

Thanks! I'm from around the area and work in Akron. They have the highway a mess out in the Norton since they're widening the highway. They might as well just lay gravel down lol. Hopefully they complete 1 lane before the shows this year. You should stop out at Summit's show sometime, I couldn't make it to them last year because of the 110+ degree day the show was on, decided to stay home in the A/C.

Anyhow, I've decided against the black hood. They can do it, but wanted double the price. Instead of $436, it was $800 and something. Decided that extra $400 could be spend on something a little better. I thought that since I knew the owners, they could just run a few pieces of tape down the hood and spray it for an extra $50-$100 bucks. But I guess not. I'll probably have the hood painted and put on in 2-3 weeks though.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it sounds nice and easy, throw a couple pieces of tape and its done right? Not that simple, don't forget a good pro shop will also mask the back to protect overspray, and now you are adding 3x as long to the job waiting for the first color to dry enough to handle it to tape it but not enough you cans still top coat it with out scuffing it first. Then you can do the color, pull the tape, clear it and finally wait for the clear to dry. You can easily just throw a couple pieces of tape and plastidip it if you want it bad enough and its easy to do off the car or go crazy and do paint. Its just two pieces of tape.

OP
OP
R

RickSample1

Reaction score
I know it's not as simple at just running a couple pieces of tape down the hood and painting it. But keep in mind my all white quote included taking old hood off, test fitting new hood, take that off to paint/clear both top and bottom, reinstall and then blend into my fenders and then clear both fenders. That seems like a lot more work than masking off the hood to paint black. That's why I was a little surprised the price was double. Not a huge deal, I'll just stick with white since I was kind of going back and forth.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Body shops will usually shoot a stupid high quote like that rather than saying they don't want to do it.

Realistically that price is highway robbery but it might just be that they're too busy and that's a way to either get you to walk or make it worth their time to bump another project long enough to do it.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm from around the area and work in Akron. They have the highway a mess out in the Norton since they're widening the highway. They might as well just lay gravel down lol. Hopefully they complete 1 lane before the shows this year. You should stop out at Summit's show sometime, I couldn't make it to them last year because of the 110+ degree day the show was on, decided to stay home in the A/C.

Anyhow, I've decided against the black hood. They can do it, but wanted double the price. Instead of $436, it was $800 and something. Decided that extra $400 could be spend on something a little better. I thought that since I knew the owners, they could just run a few pieces of tape down the hood and spray it for an extra $50-$100 bucks. But I guess not. I'll probably have the hood painted and put on in 2-3 weeks though.

I went to the summit mustang show this year and I remember the sweat rolling down my back lol. There are some great looking cars that show up!

Seems like the body shop quote made your mind up for you, you may end up being happy that it's all white after you see it on the car anyway.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
As an owner of this hood, I was in a similer confused state with what to do with it. I am a little more reserved so I painted it all, but I feel with all the same color, you miss out on the contours of the Y2K hump part. I may go back at some point and to the louver parts in carbon vinyl or something to break it up a little.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Staff online

Members online