Show ready under the hood

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by 1996GTKB, Apr 7, 2015.

1. 1996GTKB

1996GTKB Member

Good day everyone,

So I've done lots of research on this topic and it seems that there 1000 different ways to get your engine bay "show ready". I'm not talking about wire tucks etc I'm talking pure cleanliness.

The unfortunate thing is that it is almost all contradictory from one "how to" to the next.

on this site for example some ppl swear by the use of the pressure washer under the hood and others say this is a big no-no...

I have always simply done it by hand, but I know I do it wrong because people beside me at car shows have way cleaner bays. :(

I feel like this is my weak point at shows.

Can we get some precise ways with pics if possible to help everybody get a shiny, clean engine bay?!

thanks in advance.

2. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

Armor All extreme shine is what I use to get everything all nice and shiny. Pressure washer is good the day before but in the end you're still using water. Most of the dirt and grime in the engine will require your hands, a rag, and some degreaser if you really want it to be clean.

3. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I pressure wash my car, but not when its hot. Just a quick rinse once in awhile. I've used spray 9 to get grim off things and then most brand name products work well to add the finishing touch. I've been moving more towards meguirs products since they've been working great and are easy to find on the shelf.

4. ttocs

ttocs Legend

anytime you have water under the hood of a car there is chance you will get it in the wrong place. I use to install stereos at an off-site bay where we rented a couple bays from a limo/detail shop. They did this stuff all day/every day but there was one time one of the guys girlfriends was complaining she wanted him to clean under the hood. He did it and then we all spend the next 3 hrs trying to blow air into here, try this/check that to get the car to start but when what ever it was finally dried out the car cranked over.

5. Tony

Tony Legend

all the grime and oxidatation on the metal parts like alt, timing cover, water neck etc....you have to seriously scrub with degreaser....use a green scotchbrite and a thick glove on your hand....sounds silly but you can get busy all in your bay with a thick glove on your hand and not be so careful trying not to cut your hand. if it's real bad steel wool would be needed.....then you can keep it clean with just soapy water and a cone brush.

i never was a fan of a bunch of silicone shiny stuff under the hood.....nor the interior. i like the look of flat black clean plastics. armor all makes a natural finish cleaner that works awesome on all plastics, vinyl, rubber etc.

6. Michael Plummer

Michael Plummer Active Member

Nothing beats a little elbow grease when it comes to getting an engine bay clean. There are two basic types of dressings for automobiles, oil-based and water-based.

Oil-based products: Clear in color and will produce a glossy or wet-appearance on plastics and rubbers. While oil-based products do last longer and are more resistant to weather, they are very sticky and attract dust and dirt particles.

Water-based products: Milky looking in color, slippery, and environmentally friendly. They are not sticky like their oil based counter parts, and do not attract dust and dirt particles as easily. Water-based products give more of a satin shine or matte finish. However, a glossier look can be achieved by applying several coats to a surface.

7. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Good info Plummer,...thanks for sharing!

8. Michael Plummer

Michael Plummer Active Member

You're welcome.

9. Sinned83

Sinned83 Well-Known Member

Clean, agitate the bad areas rinse and add your favorite dressings. I think most of the car show scene has gotten away greasy super wet look for the water based products that add a subtle shine but look more OEM

10. 1996GTKB

1996GTKB Member

I watched some of the chemical guys videos and their products seem to work well, so I went to order some things last night.

total with what was in the cart was 69.91
    with shipping to me the total skyrocketed to 188.05!!

needless to say that won't be happening. Lol any Canadians have any luck finding a retailer that sells these products?

11. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I just buy things off the shelf for that reason.

12. ttocs

ttocs Legend

gosh yea their vids are great but there are a number of other brands that would work that are probably available at your local autoparts store.

13. Sinned83

Sinned83 Well-Known Member

I have a huge supply of CG stuff they are average products but their marketing is genius

14. 1996GTKB

1996GTKB Member

Thanks for all the help guys!!

15. ttocs

ttocs Legend

watch what you ask for. It sucks you in and before you know it your planning a wire tuck and some scotrod panels and pulling the motor to paint it all and from there it all goes down hill. Now I have started to put the motor back together and suddenly I have to be more careful with the ratchet and wrenches then I ever imagined.

16. evilcw311

evilcw311 Most Evil Mod! Staff Member Staff

^ truth!!!

Honestly, meguiars products are top notch for the price and being readily available on the shelf at your local store. I've used their products for years with great results.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!