Side skirts/ pipes with all 4 cats??

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still getting knocking on the exhaust system, even after changing the Bassani cat back to a FlowMaster Series 44 cat back system. I’m pretty confident the knocking is either at the hump going over the axle or at the tips. Most likely tips the way it sounds at start up and initially under way.

So I’m wondering if there’s a relatively simple solution to eliminate the rattling or if a side skirt exhaust would remedy it? And, do I have ample clearance for side skirts with only 4” of ground clearance?

Wandering minds want to know!! LOL

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it is a sound like it is loose/rattling or what is it exactly? If it is loose than it probably just needs a new hanger or something. Side exhaust uses the same hangers, makes a pretty good reduction on how close it is to the ground, and that is besides the extra cost of paint/install.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A rattle. When I start it up especially. Usually continues during my slow roll out of the driveway but goes away once I’m underway.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well if it isn't a hanger then it could be a cat going out if you have them. Have you got under the car and given the exhaust a good shake to see if it moves and makes noise?

Snorky

Reaction score
I would sy over axle pipe on either the frame or the UCA. Have to tighten the piss out-of thr muffler to over axle pipe clamp once you get it where you want it. A simple oh its tight eith a socket wrench won't do it.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would sy over axle pipe on either the frame or the UCA. Have to tighten the piss out-of thr muffler to over axle pipe clamp once you get it where you want it. A simple oh its tight eith a socket wrench won't do it.
Well, the guy who owns the muffler shop I go tightened it with an air gun, so I’m thinking it’s on there pretty tight.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well if it isn't a hanger then it could be a cat going out if you have them. Have you got under the car and given the exhaust a good shake to see if it moves and makes noise?
Yes, while it’s on the ground. I grabbed ahold of each exg
hau tip separately and they DO have some wiggle there. Didn’t see any missing, scuffed or otherwise on the underside closest to the tips though.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Think I located the source of the knocking. Drivers side where it jumps over the axle. More brackets in the way now with the torque arm and Panhard bar…
95161B59-A569-4B15-A127-4D5609973674.jpegimage.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online