simplifying operating systems...

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever works for you man, no judging here, it's what makes the world go 'round. Checkout Painless Wiring for your harness. Megasquirt as a low buck (but not low feature) option, or AEM. At one point AEM even made a "plug-n-play" ECU for the Mustang, not sure if those items are around anymore though, you might have to use their universal one. Good luck with your project(s)! :D

95opal

Reaction score
I consider myself relatively adept and mechanically inclined, but when I look under the hood of Tyler's mustang, all I see is a rats nest.

And while it is very possible to do a wire tuck, all you're doing is sweeping $#!+ under the rug. And that's not how I do business.

I don't want to hide anything, I want to delete what isn't necessary and consolidate what is.

Things like smog, egr, power steering, power brakes, all of that would be history. I want to be able to see the engine when I look in the engine bay, ya'know?

Mount the alternator where the smog pump was, an with no power steering pump, you might be able to see the valve covers. I hate the design of the intake manifold, so I would probably get an eddy air-gap converted to efi. That would help a lot with being able to see the engine in the engine bay.

I'm not opposed to running a distributor, but coil on/near plug is a system I like more. I guess the only way to have my cake and eat it too, would be to get one computer to rule them all. Like an aem or megasquirt.

Hmm... don't hate me, but it sounds like I want a 302W/LS-engine. I dig the five-oh. It's my favorite thing Ford. But when I see it in the SN, I puke a little bit. It makes me sad in the pants that it is limited to 500hp. It's hideous and doesn't look like there's even an engine under all the mess in the engine bay.

You can pull all the emissions crap and toss it in the garbage. Off the smog pump. power steering, abs, booster, just about everythinmg under ther sun can be tossed. Like said earlier, spark fuel and air is all that's needed. You want to go further buy a stand alone and off the MAF also. There really isn't much left in the bay after you attack all that trust me. My bay was pretty clean before but this time around your gonna be scratvhiong your head to figure out how it even runs. I think your over thinking it. Just get in there and start tossing all the oem crap in the trash. Tuck your wires brakelines, fuel lines and your basically left with just the motor. Strip the motor down to just the alt and run a remote water pump and that's it. You wont get any cleaner than that. If you need ideas look at my thread in members rides for some ideas.

Here is whats going back in mine there is absolutely nothing else in my bay besides what you see picturewd here. No wires no bs anywhere.

DSCF0922_zpsf7936857.jpg

for shits and giggles my previous bay with just a wire tuck

dee665d2.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just did a wire tuck/bay smoothing on my 94 GT and it was certainly was not an easy job. But after pulling the motor and painting everything it is nice to just sit and look at it. I am considering pulling the power steering but not sure I want to do it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online