Since I work at a bodyshop....

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
I've been working a LOT this summer, I work at a bodyshop right now doing detailing full time. I started out just cleaning/buffing/waxing the cars after they were repaired/painted...but recently I have learned how to prep bumpers, hoods, doors etc for paint. Sand them by hand, air tools, etc...just everything to get them ready to paint. Its been really fun.

I talked to one of the painters today, and hes gonna show me how to paint after hours. I'm gonna prep some parts on my car, my hood has some nasty cracks in it, and I want to paint my mirrors, so I'm gonna bring them in after work and hes gonna show me how to spray them. I'm really excited, I hope to repaint my hood, bumpers, fenders, and anything else that I can for free basically.

Now...should I get new bumpers to paint? Or paint my stockers...?

I want to shave my trunk ford emblem holes, and possibly the emblems on the fenders. If I repaint my stock front bumper, I'm gonna fill in the flat spot for a front plate. What do you guys think I should do? Get a cobra/saleen/roush/etc front? I LOVE CHANGE :D

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Im for change, it really works well for you since you wont have to pay for paint :dancing6:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's cool man! Spraying is fun, you already know how to do the MOST IMPORTANT and time consuming part. The prep.

Spraying is all about laying down the fan with the right overlap, so it shines evenly. there's technique there, I enjoy spraying stuff.
Get it thinned out correctly and overlap without putting down too much paint, it will shine like you just detailed it.
I've painted a few things. Like my Roush parts for 1. It's fun.

On your front bumper -
Roush is way lower than the stock sides, and would Not look good.
Saleen, I don't care for, it's a bunch of rounded square holes on the front, just my opinion, but It doesn't match.
Cobra nose does look clean.
The stock front isn't bad either, and looks much better with the chin spolier.
Filling the plate section is a good idea too.

the only other front piece I kinda like is the stalker front cover, but it's not top of my list.
then of course is the abc molded chin like mine. :)

Either way, it'll look sweet!

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
i'd keep the stocker, i love your car with the mach 1 lip...but whos to ay i won't like your car with a cobra bumper :dunno:

OP
OP
J

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
I think if I go with a cobra front...its gonna make my car look like every other modded cobra or GT. I feel like the GT front with the chin spoiler, I feel like its more unique.

I think im just gonna smooth out the front liscence plate part, and repaint it. Then shave the fender emblems, shave the trunk, and possibly shave the rear bumper.

I might not get to do all this, because I go back to school in month, but I'm definitely gonna get my hood repainted and do my mirrors, and hopefully my front bumper.

thorco3

Reaction score
well, the mirrors are a simple enough, def do those. I've thought about filling in the bumper lp thing as well, but don't know of a good way to go about it. I wouldn't exactly want to just slap it full of filler/bondo etc... because that would eventually crack no doubt about it.

I'm in the process (or my father actually) of spraying another decklid for my car. We pulled the decklid from the 98 that I totalled which had a wing, and we have filled in/shaved all the holes. So it is now wingelss and will not have a Ford oval. We welded up the holes though and I would suggest you do the same if you are shaving anything. If you just fill them they will eventually lift and you will see a circle or they will crack, etc. just my .02 on the shaving stuff, because I don't think you mentioned welding.

SMOKE

Reaction score
Love the current set-up on the front!!! O0
Finding a ROUSH front may remove that as an option.

The shave decklid and filled in front sound great. I'd get new bumpers to practice and paint, that way if they turn out great, you have extra pieces if you're involved in a fender bender and paint will already match. I'm all about stocking extra, just in case.

Whistler98

Reaction score
Keep the GT bumper with the chin spoiler it looks awesome. I have always wanted to see someone smooth over the front lisense plat spot on are bumpers I think that would look awesome. Def paint the mirrors, but your car looks great the way it is.

If you run outta stuff to practice on I just bought a 76 ford f-150 project truck lol O0

S281 #39B

Reaction score
I like the saleen front bumper a lot but i think a roush front bumper will set it off.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
I will tell you first off, the final outcome of whatever you spray is a direct effect of how well you prep the panel before paint. Its alot of fun, but most of the time its a PITA when you start off cause its basically a full blown chemistry experiment when shit starts to solvent pop, or run, or reactivate. :slap:

Base coat is simple. 50/50
Most clear is 2:1
Primer is usually 4:1

i wish i could tell you all my pointers and tricks of the game but there are so many you would be reading this post for a long time lol. also dont sand metallic base coats before clear you will be kicking yourself in the balls when you pull the panel in the sun . ;)

OP
OP
J

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys...I'm definitely going to do my mirrors first, because they won't be very difficult to do, and painting them won't be hard. Then I'm gonna do my hood.

dawssvt

Reaction score
Go for the stock 96-98 cobra front, man. It will look great on your car :dancing6:

Late4Work

Reaction score
Jon i look to ur car for inspiration, everything on it looks and flows great......keep the GT bumper

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Late4Work said:
Jon i look to ur car for inspiration, everything on it looks and flows great......keep the GT bumper

+1 i love your front end. like seriously keep it

you could do the practice on other bumpers to make sure its goin to work out and you are doin it right and if for whatever reason you mess up one you have another to replace it with which is good. but yeah, hope it all turns out well!
post pics!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online