Single turbo 1998 gt

Lanter

Reaction score
If you have specific questions on the 98 fuel system I can answer most. The 98 is a bastard year, being a return fuel system like previous years but with a similar tank to the 99+ cars. The pump is housed in a basket as opposed to being inside tank baffles like the 97 and older cars. The drawback is standard pumps for the 97 won't fit and if the pump flows a lot you can suck the basket dry unless you cut holes in it to allow it to fill faster. The 99+ cars (including the 03-04) are returnless fuel systems which operate with a variable voltage pump to slow down how much fuel the engine gets at low loads. The best option for drop in pumps on a 98 are the svt focus or lincoln aviator, both would be a good idea to drill the basket to let fuel fill it quicker.

OP
OP
S

Stock982v

Reaction score
If you have specific questions on the 98 fuel system I can answer most. The 98 is a bastard year, being a return fuel system like previous years but with a similar tank to the 99+ cars. The pump is housed in a basket as opposed to being inside tank baffles like the 97 and older cars. The drawback is standard pumps for the 97 won't fit and if the pump flows a lot you can suck the basket dry unless you cut holes in it to allow it to fill faster. The 99+ cars (including the 03-04) are returnless fuel systems which operate with a variable voltage pump to slow down how much fuel the engine gets at low loads. The best option for drop in pumps on a 98 are the svt focus or lincoln aviator, both would be a good idea to drill the basket to let fuel fill it quicker.

So the svt focus would be a direct drop in?

OP
OP
S

Stock982v

Reaction score
20161114_231257_zps18gkdxv0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Lanter

Reaction score
So the svt focus would be a direct drop in?

From what I have read it is, now I haven't ever tried using a SVT focus pump. I have a glenns gp1000 fuel system with a sumped tank. I know without a doubt the aviator pump is a drop in and if I didn't need so much fuel that would have been the route I would have taken.

OP
OP
S

Stock982v

Reaction score
From what I have read it is, now I haven't ever tried using a SVT focus pump. I have a glenns gp1000 fuel system with a sumped tank. I know without a doubt the aviator pump is a drop in and if I didn't need so much fuel that would have been the route I would have taken.
Maybe ill get a aviator pump , ive never heard about using one until now...

1bad95

Reaction score
Focus pump will drop in. My tuner advised me that with 98 being a return system that he didn't expect the pump to support more than 375hp or so. I ended up selling mine and bought a walbro 290lph setup. Whole setup, new bucket and all. Just drop in and plug in

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1bad95

Reaction score
Also if you buy a new drop in setup be sure to know wether your car is a California emissions car or not. I bought a non Cali setup first before finding out mine was a California emissions car, but my car was originally sold in Cali

OP
OP
S

Stock982v

Reaction score
Also if you buy a new drop in setup be sure to know wether your car is a California emissions car or not. I bought a non Cali setup first before finding out mine was a California emissions car, but my car was originally sold in Cali

How do i find out? searching the vin number?

1bad95

Reaction score
Easiest way is unplug your plug to your fuel pump. If 4 wires if non Cali, if 7 wires I think it was it's Cali.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Im at roughly 400rwhp right now and have a 255lph pump and did not drill holes in the bucket. So far no issues. Next tune this spring I'm expecting to see around 410-420 to the tire and am hoping this wont be an issue

OP
OP
S

Stock982v

Reaction score
Im at roughly 400rwhp right now and have a 255lph pump and did not drill holes in the bucket. So far no issues. Next tune this spring I'm expecting to see around 410-420 to the tire and am hoping this wont be an issue

What pump did you go with?

OP
OP
S

Stock982v

Reaction score
Ok guys idk how to even say this but the car has had a little turn , I purchased a nitrous express kit going to spray 150 until summer, plan is to do long tunes typhoon intake and pi heads and cams , Then the summer time I can work my A** and have it turbo , if I blow the motor won't be a big deal they are only $400 at max , sorry for the big change... Don't kill me Frank

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Lol nitrous is good too. Doesn't make the great noises that a turbo would though

Sent using my Typewriter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online