Single turbo setup on 96 gt?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Anyone running a turbo on a npi gt?...How much would it cost to run a small turbo..not anything too serious...but im sure a boosted 4.6 would move pretty well..I assume it would have to be mostly custom since as of now there doesnt seem to be any options...Just curious..might as well save up money for a turbo rather than spend it on bullshit mods

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
you can build your own setup for under a grand
you just gotta find a place who does custom bent piping to do your piping, then find someone who can weld. get all the parts and there you go.
you wont be able to run alot of boost because of lack of forged internals and the fuel system and such. but it will increase your power alot. i think for 3 grand you can put around 500 to the wheels. thats upgraded fuel system, turbo setup, pistons, rods, crank *all forged* and some other things
i wanted to run twins on mine but im thinking about a single turbo now. idk, id really rather twins personally. one day though, after i graduate college ima build and boost her

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
you will have to upgrade the fuel system to run the boost...just like any power adder.

but you can build your own custom system rather cheaply..check out turbomustangs.com or turbostangs.com, i can remember which one it is exactly. but they have some awesome stuff on there. and IMO, i would go with a twin turbo setup to acheive full boost earlier, since its more about the area under the curve not the peak numbers. O0

black98gt

Reaction score
if your not afraid to spend money powerhouse performance has a nice single turbo setup or if you want a twin for a little more money hp performance has a real nice kit but i heard bad things about hp. not the kit its self but the service on other threads people say it took like 5-6 months for the kits to get there. when i get my turbo i think im goin with the hellion kit

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
haha..i forgot to add..im poor..so looking for the cheapest way..looking for the future.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
I would much rather run a Kennebell twin screw superchager instead
on a mustang.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Poor and Forced Induction doesn't really mix unless you can do all the work yourself and repair what you break.

And FI on a NPI won't be so good...you need to atleast upgrade the intake and cams if you want to break the 300rwhp mark.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Poor and Forced Induction doesn't really mix unless you can do all the work yourself and repair what you break.

And FI on a NPI won't be so good...you need to atleast upgrade the intake and cams if you want to break the 300rwhp mark.

ill be putting the pi intake on soon...

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If money's a big factor, Nitrous is the most affordable.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
im not like alot of you, I HATE NITROUS i think its stupid but most of yall like it. i think "bottles are for babies" just me though

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
So is getting a turbo and running only like 8PSI lol

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lol, then don't get it. but good luck getting any blower for under 3000 bucks.

you're looking at a celing of around 350 HP with the NPI heads AND a blower.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
ive seen cars run 8 psi and still put out mass power, but when they turn it up its insane.
i just honestly wouldnt put spary on my motor, thats just me.

you can build a turbo setup for under 3,000. you just gotta do it yourself.
i wouldnt pay like 7,000 for a kit when i could build it for a lot less. see what im saying?
when i do mine, im doing it the right way. not just gunna slap together anything and hope it works.

im not a motor genious like some of you but im not stupid either.

i never said i was keeping my heads, now you could be talking to the guy who started this thread but it sounded like you were talking to me so ima back up what i say. not getting mad or anything just merely explaining.
:banana:

black98gt

Reaction score
i dont know why people hate nitrous so much. whats really wrong with it. its not cheating. power is power so why pay like 3grand more for about 100 horse with a blower with a npi motor when you could run a 100 shot

ripper

Reaction score
Well its not that i didnt like nitrous it just seemed to be a pain in the ass. Bottle filling, bottle warming, switches, you know. All the peeps i see on pinks run nitrous so it cant be that bad lol. Just a big PIA to me. Blower goes on, Tune is done, You are done.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
i too dont understand why people think nitrous is soo bad, it is perfectly safe to use...my friend has a 00 V6 with bolt-ons and a 75 shot and runs 13.5s.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard that DIY turbo kit is cheap for a while now. I don't think it's that simple, ESPECIALLY with a modular.
a chunck of the cost on modular kits is for a k member, A arms and coil overs because there's no room for the piping on the stock setup.

even if it's a real hack job, 1000 bucks seems way tight.
think about it, your moving all kinds of stuff around, buying and welding up a bunch of pipes, then you gotta get them coated.
probably have to wrap part of them so you don't melt stuff etc.
then you still need to tune it. upgrade the fule system.

that's all money and a LOT of time.

it's easier on a 5.0 since there's more space and they can flip the hedders and build off from there. 1000 bucks is a pipe dream.

I've looked into this for a while now. I am going turbo, and i"ve done my suspension stuff for it.
I considered doing my own kit, and think it would be pretty fun.
but once you add in all the other stuff, and throw in a learning curve, I'd rather buy one that looks sweet and has been tested to perform.

just my 3 cents. ;)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my95gtstang said:
im not like alot of you, I HATE NITROUS i think its stupid but most of yall like it. i think "bottles are for babies" just me though

haha what are you 12?

bottles are for babies... :rollinglaugh:
thats the dumbest thing i heard in awhile...

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
my95gtstang said:

haha what are you 12?

bottles are for babies... :rollinglaugh:
thats the dumbest thing i heard in awhile...

I guess Im a baby, cause I have a bottle of Miller Lite in front of me now.... oops wrong bottle, my-bad :drunk:

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
just my 3 cents. ;)

yep, tuning alone will cost at least $500, a fuel pump is atleast $100, injectors $250, plus the tubular stuff and coilovers is by itself over $1000...and that doesnt even include anything for the turbo...

but i have seen someone build a turbo kit on an 02GT with th stock k-member, but the design was seriously bad, he had the pipes running under the bottom of the k-member like 1/2 inch from the ground...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online