Slight chirp while idling - clutch pressure stops it?

joemomma

Reaction score
Just recently noticed a slight chirp while the car ('94GT) is idling in neutral with the clutch out. Putting just slightest bit of pressure on the clutch pedal will end the chirp. What's causing this? Literally, just resting my foot on the pedal is enough to make it stop. Previous owner said the clutch was replaced, but didn't know what brand/etc. Is there something I can adjust/test to troubleshoot?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
throw out bearing. Its the beginning of the end. IT will slowly become louder and louder till the trans is dropped and the tob is replaced. Its good to do the clutch while you are there and you want to get the Ford racing TOB or if you do the research you can find the bearing they use and get it from them cheaper since it doesn't have a ford box around it.

I think this is the same thing.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’ve read a lot of bad stuff about the Ford racing tob. I wouldn’t replace it yet anyway. I don’t remember if you said in your thread or not but try an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster first. And I’d recommend the clutch free play mod.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
what bearing do you hear good thing about then? Every time I have heard of someone complaining of putting a new bearing in and it squeeking 6 months later it was because it was not the ford racing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought the ford racing bearing was the stock bearing but I might be wrong. Can you post a link to the one your thinking of?

weendoggy

Reaction score
How strange. I've used a Centerforce system (not OEM) in both my cars for 20+ years and haven't had a TO go bad. I also use a firewall quadrant setup and adjustable cable.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I'll see about getting the quadrant and adjuster/cable. It's going to be a while before I can actually do any work on the car. We're in the middle of moving to an apartment while the house is finished building, and all my tools are in storage. I could probably work on it at my parents' house, but I really don't want to get in to that. It should be going in for paint soon regardless, so it isn't a pressing matter. I don't know if the PO replaced the TOB when they did the clutch.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
most clutch kits come with a bearing but I have always heard if it was not the ford racing to throw it out and get one.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Sometimes it will chirp if there isn't enough cable preload. The TOB life can also be prolonged (if it is actually going) by adding some grease to it through the access hatch.

Hopelessly-Devoted

Reaction score
In my case, I was told it was the pilot bearing. I had it replaced and the noise went away... for a while. I noticed recently the same chirping has started again and just like in your case, slight pressure on the pedal, the chirping goes away. Maybe I'll try the adjustable quad/cable and getting some lube into the TOB, see if it goes away.

Notthenow

Reaction score
If it's when you out light pressure on the clutch I would be surprised if it wasn't the tob. Question is which issue. I have had both. Good luck!

Notthenow

Reaction score
I have had a brand new Ford Racing clutch and tob chirp until I added a bit more pressure from the cable and 7500 miles later it is still fine. I also nursed a bad Zoom tob for almost a year by adding grease a couple of times.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
You just lift up on the clutch pedal correct?

07GtS197

Reaction score
When I was looking around I couldn’t find the oem Motorcraft tob, only aftermarket including Ford racing. That one is supposed to be an upgrade. I don’t think the stock one is made anymore, but then again I don’t know what company made the stock one.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Lots of talk about the correct tob. If I remember National made it for Ford. I believe the FR kit comes with National now. Valeo made the clutch for Ford.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online