Slight chirp while idling - clutch pressure stops it?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am 90% sure that the link I gave above is the national bearing that ford just repackages as I ordered it last year. The clutch kit I got came with something different and you could see the difference between the two when they were next to each other with the national bearing looking better for lack of a better term.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Agree, that what I remember after removing my crimble Zoom tob sitting next to the FR-National tob.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Sometimes it will chirp if there isn't enough cable preload. The TOB life can also be prolonged (if it is actually going) by adding some grease to it through the access hatch.
I've been dealing with this issue (growing more noticeable) for about three months now. Last week I figured out how to adjust the cable beings it has a tooth that doesn't catch on the stock adjuster under the pedal. That seemed to help quiet it a little but I think it just alleviated some pedal wobble instead of any action on the TOB. So I just went out to take a peek at whether the exhaust would hinder me getting to the access in the housing.
Low and behold, the dust cover is missing!
I bet greasing the tob tomorrow takes care of that!

*afterthought
I wonder what all might have suffered with rainwater getting splashed up in there for who knows how long...dang.

Well, that's why I came here. To learn.
Thanks guys!
Grego

07GtS197

Reaction score
Perhaps Ford racing is using a different supplier now. I went through this a while back looking for good tob’s for my 02. After a lot of googling the consensus was that the Ford racing tob was trash and to go with the regular stock replacement, which was probably national to begin with.

Notthenow

Reaction score
My recent FR clutch had a National tob, but I buy parts and take 5 years to put them on....
Greg, if the cover being off has mattered you will see evidence up in that area. Down here in AZ we don't have much besides dust unless you live off pavement.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Perhaps Ford racing is using a different supplier now. I went through this a while back looking for good tob’s for my 02. After a lot of googling the consensus was that the Ford racing tob was trash and to go with the regular stock replacement, which was probably national to begin with.
This is the 2nd time now in the same post you have told us this but your still the first person I have heard say anything bad about them. Am I wrong that you have not actually used it you just read it's bad? I again welcome you to post a link to the correct/better bearing that you recommend rather than telling us you read bad things about this one. I have used the ford racing tob and had good results from it.

07GtS197

Reaction score
This is the 2nd time now in the same post you have told us this but your still the first person I have heard say anything bad about them. Am I wrong that you have not actually used it you just read it's bad? I again welcome you to post a link to the correct/better bearing that you recommend rather than telling us you read bad things about this one. I have used the ford racing tob and had good results from it.
No I do not have experience with one but I’m only one person. This was from research I’ve done on the subject, which I stated. There was no one person that said it was bad, it was a consensus from the numerous threads I read. Google the Ford racing tob and see what comes up. I never said I knew of a better one, from what I read people have said stick with oem. You had good luck, great, not everyone will. Op try the Ford racing tob, perhaps you’ll have no issues.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Notthenow, short of seeing more atmospheric rust, I don't see much 'damage', just dirty. Man, I just cringe when I think of all the slushy saltwater Pammer drove it through last winter. And yes, my wife loves driving the stang in snow. When she leaves, she says "Twerkin time". (she's accustom to the rear end slide which makes her wear a grin)

Surprisingly enough, it actually can handle 3-4 inches of snow. You just gotta wrap your head around the idea of skiing with 4 wheels.

I've greased the tob, but it still chatters. I think I need to maybe install an extra spring to help preload.

*dust cover ordered
B-)

Notthenow

Reaction score
Haha, I grew up in Chicago and loved driving in the snow and "drifting" around corners! Never heard it called "twerkin". As far as I know chirping is either the bearing lacking grease or preload. Going back to your first post and how a little pressure make it stops make me wonder if it has enough. The cable and adjuster are all stock, right?

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Yep, all stock. The adjuster under the pedal is nonfunctional due to a rounded tooth but I found if I get under there and spread the darn thing with two hands, it ratchets taut. It killed the little side wobble the pedal had from slack, but it still takes about 2 lbs pressure for the sound to go away.
The word 'chirp' is being used, but honestly, my sound is more like a toy sewing machine from Mattel.

I think they make an aftermarket spring that is larger in diameter that goes OVER the existing spring by the throw out lever, aiding in preload. Ever heard of such an animal?

Gregomatic

Reaction score
You must be one hella driver to be driving in Chicago snow! I went to boot in Great Mistakes Ill and that snow was stupid deep. I don't think even my wife could keep the GO tires on her six o'clock.

Do you think it might take a bit for the grease to make a difference after salt water has had its way with it?

Notthenow

Reaction score
If the adjuster is stripped I would think you don't have enough preload. Mine is firewall adjusted and when I first ran it after rebuilding the T45 and installing a new FR clutch kit the pedal wobbled a bit and it chirped until I added more tension to the cable. Maximum Motorsports calls for about 10lbs I believe.

I have heard some guys do a mod with a spring so they don't have to run preload because they believe it is designed to work like an old style clutch that used air gap for the tob, but I am not familiar with it. I would go firewall adjuster set up myself, but others may disagree.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Haha, I grew up in it so we thought nothing of it. I think when I did it on my old Zoom tob it took a few times to get it lubed. Be careful to not get crazy because it can get grease thrown out and it can contaminate the disk and create slippage. Pack it in and remove excess to avoid any issues.

If the tob is bad this is just a bandaid, double check the cable tension.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Well, I think that about does it.
I've toyed with the thought of a firewall adjuster and I actually think they look neat with a little touch of chrome. (I was keeping my engine bay all semi-black up until the chrome CAI and the Strut tower brace)

I do believe I'm off to see who offers a better deal, CJ Pony or American Muscle.

This has been very helpful, thanks for the input!
I don't know if it will fix it...
...but now I want it anyway..
LOL

Gregomatic

Reaction score
A little additional info.
The friend I bought it from had passed it down to each of his kids as they reached driving age, and then to a daughter-in-law, ALL of whom learned to drive a clutch in it. That's a lot of beating.
I had the clutch replaced two years ago when I first got it. I bet the TOB (oem) got prematurely worn by elements not kept at bay by the cover. Grrr.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Best of luck. I would like know how you do. Check out MM. Read their tech on cables for reference. They make good stuff if its in the budget.

07GtS197

Reaction score
https://www.sn95forums.com/threads/clutch-cable-freeplay-mod-ldc-mod-do-it-yourself.55023/

That’s what Notthenow is referring to. Great mod. And as far as firewall adjusters, I had a steeda double hook quadrant and firewall adjuster on my 02, great pieces.

If I had the coin I’d toss the cable and get the McLeod hydraulic clutch. They have two, my 00 Gt had the one with the internal slave cylinder. That one sucked because whoever installed it did not shim it correctly so I couldn’t adjust it. There is another one that has a slave cylinder that attaches to the stock clutch fork. It’s less complex and can be adjusted via the firewall adjuster or the threaded rod where it attaches to the clutch fork. Pretty neat design IMO and reduces pedal effort.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
THANKS for that link.
1) I love fabricating and making my own mods.
2) Not much to the spring and tubing reducers.
3) I like redundancy and will incorporate the spring mod while I'm shopping for the firewall adjuster.

Quote: "..and reduces pedal effort."
Man, if I spent that much for an upgrade, The Pam would want to scalp me. BUUUUT, only until the first time she got stuck in traffic while she's wearing her high heel stilettos and standing on that clutch!! Bet that!

PS. Yo Naples, my son Gregory lives in St Pete (the nice side of town). Nice to meet another Floridian.
Cheers, Grego

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online