Slight TOB whistle, how long do I have?

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Mine had a slight whine for years and I figured I would tackle it once it got worse. The severity seemed to change with the seasons, but eventually it was whining almost all the time. Then one night as I was leaving school, it escalated into a full-on pterodactyl mating call. It was an incredible noise; just about made me nauseous. Managed to baby it 20 miles home, and to the shop the next day.

Then the clutch chatter saga began...
Now that's interesting. Yeah when it goes out it does sound like a pterodactyl! Mine is/was barely even making a tiny little squeal. And it only does it when I let the car sit for a week without turning it on. If I drive it more consistently as I have been these last 2 weeks it doesn't make a sound. I haven't heard the TOB make a whistle in 2 weeks now.

Replace that shit asap. Don't want it going out at the wrong time
I don't think its at that point where I need to replace it now. It only makes a sound when I let it sit for a week (not a daily driver). If I drive more often during the week it never makes a sound. I just tried the spring mechanism and feeling the spring compress annoyed the crap out of me. Considering just ordering a new clutch, TOB, pivot bearing since I just hit 78k miles on the stock clutch and school is 2 weeks away.

Mustanger

Reaction score
I think a 4" spring worked for me and the coils fit right over the copper reducers. Sorry you had trouble with yours...another friend added a spring & feels his too but it solved the chirping...probably I'd keep looking for a slightly bigger diameter spring in a different wire gauge in the range of your 3.5" & my 4" to clear the reducer better. Also my cable was a new Ford OEM one from MM & is still butter smooth after several years now...good luck

Sinned83

Reaction score
Mines been sqeaky for 4k. In my 5.0 it went so fast and I swear it was gonna catch fire.

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
I put a new ford racing one in my car and it almost immediately started squealing and now it's to the point of screaming! I guess I need a new clutch now too, I can make it quieten down if I put a fair amount of pressure on the pedal but I'll burn the clutch up that way. Not happy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online