Slop in steering: What’s common/acceptable?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not a huge deal, but I noticed about “one hour” of slop on the steering wheel where there’s no reaction in the steering. For example, between 11:30 and 12:30 I can jostle the steering wheel and it doesn’t affect the direction of the car.

My ‘64 ChevyII had even more slop , so I’m not surprised. But thought I’d inquire here in case there’s some attention I can give it.

Thanks!

07GtS197

Reaction score
Every sn95 I’ve ever owned had a bit of slop in the wheel. My old 02 had a lot because the steering shaft was loose and the steering rack bushings allowed the rack to move around. I’d check your steering rack, control arm bushings and rag joint. Might as well check your front suspension while you’re down there.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yeah an "hour" of play isn't too bad.
Solid steering rack bushings were a huge improvement on my car back when I was first starting to mod the suspension. A much improved feel at the steering wheel. Also a solid steering shaft makes a big difference too. Those 2 mods are well worth it.
But add suggested, do a once over and see what may need to be replaced.

Makoto

Reaction score
coming from a lexus sc300 i can attest to the fact that it honetly feels broken but the solid rack bushings helped.
i guess maybe its the squishy rubber stock bushing thing in the steering column itself but the solid columns are pretty pricey so i haven't done that yet.

it doesn't bother me now that all the suspension is sorted. the car does what i want when i want all the time and that's all you can really ask for.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Found one on MM for $329. That sound about right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Badass posted the link for the correct shaft above. Pair it with the solid rack bushings and your set.
Yep, same one I found. Front control arm urethane bushings, 25mm sway bar bushings and sway bay end links for lowered 1 1/4” or more, too??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, same one I found. Front control arm urethane bushings, 25mm sway bar bushings and sway bay end links for lowered 1 1/4” or more, too??
Gotcha!

badass98svt

Reaction score
I wouldn't put any money into the stock control arms, I'd buy the FRPP control arms. Better turning radius, and upgraded bushings too. Plus they come with new ball joints installed as well.
Yes, your swaybar endink should be the same amount shorter, as your springs lowered the car.
When looking at the swaybar from the side of the car, it should be parallel to the ground.

Here's the link to the solid bushings for your steering rack.

Makoto

Reaction score
man 330 bucks is a lot for that. let us know if its worth it.

badass98svt

Reaction score
It was definitely worth it for me. When I bought it, it was about $50 less though, and I had the 03 Cobra control arms with the stock K and solid rack bushings. Now I have the tubular K and tubular front control arms too. They all make a bit of a difference. For me though the solid rack bushings for the stock K, and the solid steering shaft made the biggest difference in steering and response in the wheel.

95opal

Reaction score
how's the vibration in the steering wheel?

Never felt a vibration with the above mentioned mods. The crappy rubber in the rack and shaft is laughable on any car that is 20 years old.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter